Potential of Middle East Startups?

Discussion in 'Investing' started by blypelako, Jul 7, 2016.

1. blypelako

blypelako Active Member

Greetings to everyone! I read the article the other day which was devoted to GITEX technology week (here’s a link if you don’t know what that it: http://www.gitex.com). Considering that this year’s expo took place in Dubai, the interview included in the article was focused around doing business in the Middle East, particularly around startups. Now we’re all aware how unstable the region is these days and in addition to one of the riskier investing methods, it would seem like a dreadful cocktail. However, what if we take those more stable countries like UAE and KSA? Not so long ago a Saudi investor invested 3.5 billion dollars in Uber which means that the necessary capital is already there. This more stable part of the region is only a few hours away from Europe, if travelling by plane, which is likely to attract investors from there. The only major problem covered in the interview was lack of innovation there, which, again could be solved by attracting brilliant minds from around the globe. The biggest stumbling block here is money, which these countries don’t have shortage of. I would like to hear some thoughts from you on the topic!

2. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Im sure there are plenty of interesting opportunities, but the average investor is not likely to interested in my opinion.

Did something catch your eye?

3. blypelako

blypelako Active Member

Not really as of now. The problem is that they're good at taking ideas created by others, quite little actual innovation there, unfortunately. I will keep looking into it and update the thread from time to time.

4. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Maybe some cement companies. Lots of work to re-build stuff after it's been blown up.

Zaysev likes this.
  5. blypelako

blypelako Active Member

As a swimmer I can really see the merit of this thingie http://www.instabeat.me/
    I does look kind of awkward though.

6. Zaysev

Zaysev Member

Agreed. Any kind of rebuilding companies are likely to be really profitable in such volatile and dangerous environment.

7. blypelako

blypelako Active Member

Yeah but only in a post-conflict environment. Considering that the civil war in Syria can drag for another 5 years, I'm not willing to gamble like this tbh :D

8. Zaysev

Zaysev Member

I can't agree with you. People need places to live and work. And despite the conflict they'll most likely try rebuild their lost property. Considering how expensive such services should be in the time of conflict, companies providing them should really benefit.

9. blypelako

blypelako Active Member

I don't know how you imagine Syria right now in your head but having seen first-hand footage from there I can say that there's literally nothing to rebuild. Not to mention construction sites can be destroyed at any given moment.

10. Gambit

Gambit Active Member

Have you seen the ruins on which all of Israel was built, and now there are beautiful cities at the spot! It would be a wish!

11. blypelako

blypelako Active Member

Israel is a whole different story, although it would indeed be a good place to invest into.

12. douglashall007

douglashall007 New Member

Despite the Middle East’s pervasive aversion to risk and tribal business culture, online start–ups are injecting energy into local markets.

13. Gambit

Gambit Active Member

14. Jonathan Wiley

Nowadays, five years after the Arab Spring, the economy in the region is slowly stabilizing, and entrepreneurs who want to develop their own startup have more opportunities for business growth and success. There are numerous programs such as accelerative Oasis500 in Jordan or MIT Enterprise Forum Pan Arab, which currently runs recruitment for the ninth edition of the program in the MENA region.
    I strongly belive, if there is such a big interest now and so many events are held there, the future success is real.
    So I see their potential in developing IT enterprises there and innovative companies. It will be convenient to build a few new Silicon valleys there.

15. Mark22

Mark22 Member

I was reading about CrowdStrike and it is a cybersecurity company that is growing by leaps and bounds, in which Google has invested, and which has been in the media field: it showed in less than 48 hours that the 2016 cyber attack on Sony was the responsibility of Korea North and has even been involved in the famous call between Trump and the Ukrainian president, the subject of his impeachment.

What do you think?