AMD - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by Stockaholic, Mar 31, 2016.

1. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

It radiates out, but the water cooling system is much better at disipating heat than the standard air cooling most people have.

2. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

I'll definitely be water-cooling my next computer when I upgrade. Should get another solid year or two out of this one though.

Tiptopptrader likes this.
  3. blypelako

blypelako Active Member

Have been hearing a lot of good things about water cooling lately. Will try it out in my next upgrade.

4. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

AMD accumulating today in a very tight range. Currently up .02 @3.66

For our new traders>
    Accumulation/distribution is a momentum indicator that attempts to gauge supply and demand by determining whether investors are generally "accumulating" (buying) or "distributing" (selling) a certain stock by identifying divergences between stock price and volume flow.

FastEddy likes this.
  5. Tiptopptrader

T0rm3nted likes this.
  6. blypelako

blypelako Active Member

7. DoveJohns

DoveJohns Active Member

"Wells Fargo: AMD may be taking share from Nvidia

AMD presents a risk to Nvidia (NVDA -2.1%) as it's made "substantial progress" and may have taken graphic chip share, says Wells Fargo's David Wong.

"We believe that market share gains in graphics chips have been a contributor to Nvidia’s top line performance and stock price value over the last two years" -- a period where Nvidia stock has nearly doubled.

But AMD's last quarterly report showed double-digit sequential growth in desktop discrete graphics units and gains in professional graphics, and guided for 15% sequential growth in the out quarter, while Nvidia's guidance midpoint implies a 10% sequential decline.

A seasonal decline isn't a negative for Nvidia, Wong says, but "we think that Nvidia’s expectations and AMD’s graphics growth momentum suggest that AMD is beginning to regain graphics revenue share" and that Nvidia earnings this afternoon and Mercury Research's upcoming chip market update should confirm that.

Wong has an Outperform rating on AMD (
    AMD -2.2%) and a price target of $4.00-$4.50 -- implying 12-26% upside. He's rating Nvidia Market Perform."

8. Tiptopptrader

Has Wong been following my posts on Stockaholics,..he has the same price targets as I do :)

AMD Taking GPU Share from Nvidia, Says Wells; All Eyes on ‘Polaris’
    Beleaguered chip maker Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) is making “substantial progress” writes Wells Fargo analyst David Wong today, in particular having possibly taken share in graphics chips from competitor Nvidia (NVDA).

Wong, who has an Outperform rating on AMD, and a $4 to $4.50 price target, and a Market Perform rating on Nvidia, writes that “We believe that market share gains in graphics chips have been a contributor to Nvidia’s top line performance and stock price value over the last two years.”

“If AMD manages to build momentum in gaining graphics share in 2016, we think that this could be a risk to Nvidia’s stock.”
    http://blogs.barrons.com/techtrader...ll-eyes-on-polaris/?mod=yahoobarrons&ru=yahoo

9. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

AMD announcement on the 18th about their cards:

Join us 5/18 at 9AM CT for the next MTE as David Nalasco shares an inside look at Polaris.

10. Tiptopptrader

As NVDA gained over 15% on earnings yesterday none of the other semiconductors had much of a gain except AMD that had a decent increase of 2.33% @3.67 on good volume. (HOD 3.73). From what I see AMD has been accumulating for quite some time and it has kept it range bound. If the price gets to low, they let it go up, to high then they let it go down (classic accumulation).

Looking at the chart there appears to be a bullish pennant that has been lacking volume for a pop. At the top of the pennant is the resistance at $4 which is my short term target. Should it break that level then $4.50 would be the next stop. (excuse my sloppy drawing as my carpel tunnel is acting up) Pennants can go of for weeks to months but if the volume keeps increasing then time frame should be in the short term. There can always be bumps in the road but so far the ducks are in a row.

upload_2016-5-14_7-6-33.png

FastEddy likes this.
  11. Ciao (Sheppy)

Ciao (Sheppy) Well-Known Member

for info
    Sometime a change is more rewarding provided is a "go" man ;):)

12. Tiptopptrader

I had read that article Ciao but I don't think the board change had much to do with the price increase. They have a lot cooking like Playstation 4.5 with Sony, Polaris, VR in general but I think more will disclosed during or after Computex.

AMD Launching Polaris 10 400 Series GPU June 1st At Computex
    AMD’s Polaris 10 Radeon 400 series GPU is all but confirmed for a June 1st launch at Computex according to a leak that has just hit the web. This is the very same GPU that will purportedly deliver R9 390X/390 performance at half the wattage and for less than $299.
    http://wccftech.com/amd-launching-polaris-10-gpu-june-1st-computex/

13. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

I've been watching this on a 15 minute chart and liked what I saw on Friday.

[​IMG]
    The low of the left-most candle is 3.18 (tough to see the bottom of it). Friday started at 3.56 right on the trend line, and bounced while the market was falling apart. I'm watching what happens near 3.80 again.

If you haven't gotten in yet but want to, get in now! Because if it breaks 3.80 it looks like it could run. Stop at 3.55.

14. Tiptopptrader

Your 3.80 for a break is spot on. Big resistance at 3.79 right now

upload_2016-5-16_7-53-59.png

15. Tiptopptrader

We now have a break outside of the pennant. The volume has been stronger and a little continuation is needed to confirm a break out. It was trading at 3.84/3.85 before the EOD selloff.

upload_2016-5-16_17-18-23.png

upload_2016-5-16_17-16-47.png

Ciao (Sheppy), FastEddy and leonx81 like this.
  16. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Looks like its peaking up !

17. Tiptopptrader

I had said this morning that AMD was down 10 cents as the shorts were all over it. Now with markets down more AMD has got stronger. Market reversal could push it closer to $4 target, if not buying op for those not in.

upload_2016-5-17_7-8-3.png

18. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Stats on the GTX 1080 card from Nvidia are now out.

Performance is looking pretty solid so far!

19. Tiptopptrader

AMD Zen will favourably compete with Intel Skylake
    He mentioned a joint venture with Chinese company Nantong Fujitsu Microelectronics to gain access to the growing Chinese x86 server market giving it two server strategies – one for China and one for the rest of the world.

His comments on Virtual Reality were interesting. “VR is bringing back the PC. There is a huge investment in VR and only an x86 PC with a top end GPU will deliver. It is ideal for education, media consumption, engineering, e-sports, games and so much more,” he said. He mentioned the partnership with Associated Press to pioneer virtual reality journalism by launching a web portal for AP virtual reality, promising more journalistic endeavours soon — including lifelike VR environments built with the help of AMD.

VR needs the horsepower that an x86 PC (or notebook) can provide and we plan to be a very big part of that with Radeon and AMD,” he said.

“For the first time since I have been at AMD, I can say with absolute confidence that AMD has the products and strategies to change any negative perceptions customers may have had. AMD has moved ‘upstream’ with its support from HP in the new business class Elitebook and believe me we will get into premium products like Dell XPS, Lenovo Yoga, and HP Spectre and many more,” he said.
    http://www.itwire.com/it-industry-n...ll-favourably-compete-with-intel-skylake.html

20. blypelako

blypelako Active Member

Just saw it. Looks as beautiful as I thought it would. can't wait!