Wodnik Investing Blog (FIRE)

Discussion in 'Investing' started by Wodnik, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Wodnik

Wodnik New Member

I want to know what you guys think, I’m planning on creating a thread to document the progress of my financial goals.

These goals are quite simple. I want to earn enough to live modestly from rental income and dividends. I would also like to set a business doing something I enjoy, rather than working to pay the bills.

I guess, this is my journey to escape the rat race.

If you get offended by any of my comments, I’d strongly suggest you continue reading. My goal is to amuse, inspire and learn from your opinions. I’ll try to build a picture, rather than just stating facts.

I'll include information about dividend payments, investments and all the developments on the business front. Journeying into independence and avoiding madness on the way. This is the ultimate trip into unemployment.

Here goes..

I find it completely surreal to sit at a desk all day long. My office is like a huge metal tin can (it was meant to be a warehouse). There is no light. We asked management to insert some more windows (there’s only 4 windows in a building that holds hundreds of people) and they put massive screens on the walls, with pictures of rolling hills and forests. In one room, they put a screen on the ceiling, with clouds. It was at this point I realised management were all having a laugh at our expense. They didn’t really care about me as individual, about my health or my wellbeing. I am merely a cog in the corporate machine.

I’ve been loyal to this company for 10 years, I’ve worked in various roles within the company, from sales, servicing clients, claims and even in the CEOs office.

I had a sudden realisation whilst I worked on a project with some of the oldest people in the company. They had haggard worn out faces. These were broken people, nearing retirement. The people who never made it, the ones that wasted their lives. The fat and deranged, the materialistic no hopers.

//Please note this next part is fictional and has been designed for the purposes of entertainment and for me to elaborate further on my thoughts. Any resemblance to any real world circumstances is merely coincidental
    and only serves to strengthen argument.

Sheila lacked an education, neither her or her husband had an understanding of money and they had no prospects of retiring without the support of the tax payer. When her husband turned 55, he cashed in his pension in full to buy a speedboat. He loves his speedboat so much, it sits on his drive and represents his broken and twisted priorities of life. The seals perish as a thin layer of light green moss accumulates along the seals.

This is Derek and Sheilas pursuit of happiness.

TBC....

#1 Wodnik, Feb 2, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2020