Where can I get free historical intraday stock data?

Discussion in 'Ask any question!' started by Ryannbob, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Ryannbob

Ryannbob New Member

Hello,

I've been looking around, for many hours, but I didn't find anything. The farthest I got was Dukascopy where I could view historical intraday data with a demo account, but downloading is not possible (only forex data).
    I think now is the time to ask in a forum.
    I've also tried Google and Yahoo Finance, but they only have closing prices and no intraday data.

So does anyone of you know where to get free historical intraday stock data (major international stocks, US and European, i.e. Apple, Volkswagen, Volvo, ..., 60min interval or less)?
    They don't have to be up to date, so they can begin in 2015 and end in 2017 or something like that. (But at least a month of intraday data would be nice.)
    Also the format is not very important, but the simpler the better, for example a csv or txt file would be perfect.

It would really help. Thank you!

belquant009 likes this.
  2. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Stockaholic likes this.
  3. Ryannbob

Ryannbob New Member

Thank you!
    But if I click on the quantshare.com link, I end up at investexcel.net.

4. Ryannbob

Ryannbob New Member

I installed Excel and tried this spreadsheet from investexcel, it doesn't work. This spreadsheet is 4 years old. It might have worked years ago, but as far as I know Google and Yahoo changed something so that you can't get intraday data anymore. So I am again at the beginning.

5. Three Eyes

Ack! Let's try again here!

6. Ryannbob

Ryannbob New Member

Oh yes I read that one

7. Ryannbob

Ryannbob New Member

8. Three Eyes

This is what I get when I try that link:
    (so far nothing I have tried could get around this)
    Screenshot 2018-12-02 at 4.28.12 PM.png

9. Three Eyes

Then again, I just got back a couple weeks ago from being in Europe since May, and my laptop, phone, etc still thinks I'm in Europe no matter how many times I reset my location and try to sync it across my devices. So I may not be a good test, even though I am currently physically in USA.

10. Ryannbob

Ryannbob New Member

Exactly.
    I read "some" posts on various forums and I can cofirm: it seems that all websites, which offered free intraday data until a few months ago, stopped this service (at least Google, Yahoo, a German site, some smaller websites,...). I tried about 15 websites, which seemed to work just fine a few moths/years ago.

The only thing, which is actually pretty good, but works only for Russian and US stocks, is:
    https://www.finam.ru/profile/moex-akcii/gazprom/export/

I guess here ends my search, I give up.

11. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 2019 Stockaholics Contest Winner

I got the same message as @Three Eyes

Sorry...
    We're sorry...

... but your computer or network may be sending automated queries. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.
    See Google Help for more information.

12. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

I'm a little late with this reply here (sorry), just seeing this now for the first time.

Firstly, before I even get started, admittedly I wasn't entirely sure what you meant by "intraday" data. I don't think Google Finance or Yahoo ever had "historical intraday data", or at least I don't ever remember seeing in the many years that I've been using them.

Did you mean just the historical open, high, low, close, volume, etc. stuff like that?

If not, then just disregard everything that I'm about to post below here.

If that was what you meant, then have you tried putting this formula into a Google Sheet?

PHP:
    =IMPORTHTML("http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=COP+Historical+Prices","table")
    (Where you see COP just replace that with the ticker symbol of your choice. I think this only works with U.S. stocks though.)

This will input a couple of months worth of data into Google Sheet via Yahoo Finance.

[​IMG]

...or if you're looking for a specific date you can use this formula in Google Sheets-

PHP:
    =GOOGLEFINANCE("AAPL""open"DATE(2018,1,2), DATE(2018,12,7), "DAILY")
    (Where you see "AAPL", replace with your own ticker symbol of your choice, where it says "open" replace with open, high, low, close, volume, etc. and of course the starting and ending dates. Simply change the year (2018), month (1) and day (2) to your own starting dates, and the ending dates the same if you didn't want it to end at today's current date.

[​IMG]

Again, if this was not what you were looking for then just disregard all of this lol.

Three Eyes and Onepoint272 like this.
  13. Ryannbob

Ryannbob New Member

Thank you for the effort.
    Just to make clear, by intraday data I meant 60min intervals or less

14. johngb

johngb New Member

Quandl.com is a good source for intraday data (Algoseek is the stock data provider on the Quandl platform) and offers 1-min historical bars. If you need tick data then TickData.com is your best bet - as they provide institutional quality data for most tickers.

FirstRateData.com has some free intraday datasets (1-min and 1-hour bars) going back to 2004, but only for S&P 500 stocks and a few indices.

Onepoint272 likes this.
  15. Max Johnson

Max Johnson New Member

I think the best source of intraday data I have used is AlgoSeek. They offer intra-daily data from 2007 on all major indices, futures and individual stocks. I personally have used their data for my dissertation, and it is really good quality. They compress it well as well so for example I needed 10 years of minute-by-minute S&P500 data and the zip only weighed about about 2GB. Here is the link to their sample data: https://www.algoseek.com/samples/

16. belquant009

belquant009 New Member

I don't know if it can still help but there is a API on RapidAPI https://rapidapi.com/dubois4and/api/quotient called **Quotient ** which allows to pull intraday (at 1-min level), EOD market (FX, Crypto, Stocks (US, CANADIAN, UK, AUSTRALIA, EUROPE), ETFs and Futures. It also provides earnings, dividends, splits and a lot others informations.

Attached Files: