What stocks are on your radar for next week?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

What stocks are on your radar for next week?

[​IMG]

I've always thought we could use a thread like this on Stockaholics.

I know we already have the daily trading thread, as well as the main weekly market discussion thread, however unlike those threads this one here could be exclusively dedicated for what people are looking over during non-market hours.

I'm not sure how many of you guys use the weekends to go over companies thoroughly. But, I think for anyone who is really seriously involved in this gig should be using the weekends to their full advantage by doing some additional DD while the market is not open.

Back when I was actively trading hardcore years ago I used the weekends to really delve deep down into companies that were on my radar of interest for the week ahead, going over the charts, financials, and all that good stuff.

It was really nice having the weekends to do all of that without the nagging thought in the back of my mind that the market was open and I was missing out on something. I could really dig deep and take all the time I needed.

I don't do much of this nowadays as I'm not actively trading anymore. But, for those of you who are either starting out or have been in the game for a while should definitely be using the weekends to do the extra work if you will.

Anyway, I saw a similar thread pop up over on our Reddit page today (which has been getting some great input btw!) so I thought we could have one going on here also.

I think it'd be super cool to see what people are looking at on the weekends for the trading week ahead.

To make this thread more than just any other thread here, I think it would be helpful for others if everyone would post what they eyeing this weekend, and also include a rationale as to why it's got your interest (is there an upcoming ER?, chart setup you like?, etc.) just kind of exchanging thoughts and ideas with the community if you will.

Perhaps as a way to get people posting, I will also hit you guys up with a "like".

Whether it's T/A or F/A is all welcome in this thread.

So, w/o getting into further ado let's hear what stocks everyone's got on their radar this weekend for the upcoming trading week and why.

Looking forward to hearing some good input in here! :)

2. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

This weekend I've been looking at a screen of stocks that in the last month or so had weekly volume above average. It's a big screen lol, but I need the practice.

CZR looks like it's in trouble. Sure there is talk about legalizing sports gambling, but it hasn't happened yet; the profits have not started rolling in yet.

[​IMG]

On Friday when the market was running wild, this stock was getting rejected by the 200ma
    [​IMG]

Kwanda, Stockaholic, Jrich and 2 others like this.
  3. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

CZR definitely has underpeformed lately if you compare it to its peers like PENN and BYD

4. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Im usually working on the weekends, on a rotating schedule, 6/2.. But still try to utilize the time for whatever research i can squeeze in, like you say, without market action adding to distractions

Transports have been in the back of my mind for a while now.... Being a trucker myself, i can verify that the driver shortage is real!... Everybody is hiring, and at a premium!... We're slammed!...... The recent weakness in oil makes the sector even more attractive.... Only 6% off its high, and poised to break out of the 4 month range

Still some homework to do.... Looking at ODFL and SWFT....... Also UNP on the radar.... Decisions decisions

Screenshot_2018-06-04-04-37-52.png

5. Stockaholic

great stuff @anotherdevilsadvocate & @Jrich thx for chiming in and sharing [​IMG]

think what i'll do is have this thread bumped every weekend so we won't have to use up a sticky.

will encourage everyone to jump in here and give a little of what y'all are looking at on the weekends for the upcoming trade week.

i'll try to add a couple of my own as well.

Campluvr and Jrich like this.
  6. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Oops.... Correction, keep forgetting SWFT isn't SWFT anymore (KNX now).... Scratch that one

Stockaholic likes this.
  7. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice thread, and good posts for the first weekend. I'm more of a longer-term trader MOST of the time so not really a thread I'll be too involved in most likely, but will be a good read and interesting to get some more ideas!

Stockaholic likes this.
  8. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Went with UNP .. in at $142.83 .... Even though the trucking industry is on fire, point & figure counts are mostly used up, or show little upside

UNP shows about a 40% upside, with a target between 209 and 216...... Plus i love these tests of breakouts, buying right on the axis line has made some of my best trades

Screenshot_2018-06-05-08-59-42.png

9. Stockaholic

just added this thread to the stockaholics front page, it's the very first featured thread after the latest threads.

also i think what i'll do every friday evening is temporarily sticky this thread to the top of the stock market today section, and then take it down on monday morning...how's that sound?

here's how it looks from the front page-

hope y'all can chime in again this weekend! looking to make this a regular thing here every weekend. :D

[​IMG]

10. Stockaholic

just have one stock that i'm eyeing this weekend (for now). not in it but just have it on the radar.

had posted this on yesterday's daily comp. -- (t)

liking this one to maybe make a run at the gap fill, which also coincides with the downtrend line...call it 34.50ish. like that it broke over the 50 day average. and if it can break cleanly over the resistance TL then perhaps a test of the 200 could be in order.

[​IMG]

Jrich and T0rm3nted like this.
  11. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Good to see ya trading again!

Stockaholic likes this.
  12. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 2019 Stockaholics Contest Winner

13. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

SHW to the short side. They had guided down in the last ER and now at the top of this downchannel
    [​IMG]

T0rm3nted likes this.
  14. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

[​IMG]

Earnings this week I believe, I like its chance of hitting a new ATH :D

Stockaholic likes this.
  15. Onepoint272

Just to play yet-another-devils-advocate, the daily does appear weak, the last reaction down was on increased volume and this last grind back up was on diminished volume, but the biggest down volume on your daily chart was at the bottom of the move and then there was no follow-thru; appears it was being bought. The weekly chart shows the price within Phase B of either a re-accumulation or distribution trading range. Regardless which one it turns out to be, I've found phase B erratic and hard to play. Besides, I don't see a lot of downside potential, not yet anyway.

upload_2018-6-10_14-58-18.png

#15 Onepoint272, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    T0rm3nted likes this.
  16. Stockaholic

great to see everyone chiming in here this weekend! precisely the kinda thing i was envisioning for this thread. it's great to see what everyone is looking over on the weekends. really lovin' all of the input in here. thx for sharing you guys, really good stuff!

Kwanda and Campluvr like this.
  17. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Kinda cramped for time this weekend, preparing for a 2 week run out west.... But i had to check this one out

Heard talks the other day about MSFT looking to become "the Netflix of video games".... Apparently EA will now be testing that ambition by launching a subscription model for their PC games

I know jack about video games.... But this chart seems to like the idea

Screenshot_2018-06-11-08-27-32.png

18. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

I took a bite this morning at $142.54... Looks like it'll close near the high, thats good

Screenshot_2018-06-13-14-33-51.png

Stockaholic likes this.
  19. Stockaholic

bumped & stickied for this weekend.

keep those great weekend posts coming ;)

Jrich likes this.
  20. Onepoint272

Keeping an eye on LPX this coming week. The point and figure price objective for the potential re-accumulation trading range is now nearly the same as that of the base count. The last weekly down bar looks scary but on a daily it appears big buyers were stepping in as evidenced by the last daily bar which had large volume but little price result (effort vs. result principal).

Fundamentally all I know is that Trump is putting tariffs on Canadian lumber which has caused lumber futures to rise. I imagine the lumber market is volatile, haven't checked yet, and how the tariffs will affect LPX, I don't know either. That's why I just follow the money, the price and volume action. Maybe someone else has an opinion.

Weekly:
    upload_2018-6-17_9-8-41.png

Daily:
    upload_2018-6-17_9-13-3.png

#20 Onepoint272, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    T0rm3nted, Jrich and Stockaholic like this.