Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

Weekly Mystery Chart & Technical Analysis Challenge (4/23-4/27)

Cy's official Stockaholics thread archives group.

?

Will this mystery chart end Higher or Lower for the week?

Poll closed Apr 23, 2018.
  1. Higher.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Lower.

100.0%
  1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Content Manager
    Staff Member

Weekly Mystery Chart & Technical Analysis Challenge (4/23-4/27)
    (Read this first post for the new Stockaholics Weekly Mystery Chart Challenge)

[​IMG]

Congrats to @Three Eyes the Stockaholics Weekly Mystery Chart Winner for the Week of (4/16-4/20)!

*Link to Previous Weekly Mystery Chart Thread*

Weekly Mystery Chart Chart & Technical Analysis Challenge Rules:

1.) I will post a chart stripped of its price and indicators.

2.) Members are encouraged to guess the mystery chart for the week. The first contestant to correctly identify the mystery chart will receive 10 points in the members leaderboard. You cannot duplicate someone's mystery chart guess. Only the first person to correctly identify the mystery chart wins the 10 points. The mystery chart ticker and winner of the 10 points will be revealed sometime on Monday after the market opens.

3.) Members will also need to vote on the direction of the mystery chart for the week (meaning Friday's close), you will have up until the 9:30am eastern market open on the first trading day of the week. There will be a new poll up for each new week. Members who correctly predict the direction of the mystery stock (Up or Down) will receive 5 points in the members leaderboard for the week.

4.) Members who also provide some rationale for their direction vote (this can be brief) will be awarded another 2 points in the members leaderboard.

5.) All members who "participate" will receive 1 point for the week.

6.) The member who correctly guesses the mystery chart for the week will also get exclusive rights to pick out the next mystery chart for following week's challenge as well as a couple of hints of your choice (you would need to PM me your ticker so that I can have it posted for next week's pick! You would have until Friday of that week to send it in).

7.) We will only be using 1-year daily charts for all mystery charts, unless otherwise stated.

8.) Stocks that have earnings or ex-div dates in the coming week are not permitted as mystery charts for the competitions.

9.) In the case of a no-winners week where not one member was able to correctly identify the mystery chart for the week, the previous week's winner (chart picker) will once again have the rights to pick out the mystery chart for the following week.

10.) These are just some rules to get us started for now. If you guys see anything that we need to add or tweak here please do let us know!

Remember...the direction poll closes at the opening bell on Monday, April 23rd! So try to get those votes in ASAP!

So, w/o getting into further ado here is your mystery chart for this week!

(Chart to be posted here after market close on Friday.)

Click the button below to view the 2018 Stockaholics Weekly Mystery Chart Winners List-
    [​IMG]

Click the button below to view the 2018 Stockaholics Mystery Chart Challenge members leaderboard-
    [​IMG]

2. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

As I guessed this week's chart, I'll be posting *next* week's mystery chart this Friday after market close. Stay tuned!

3. bigbear0083

Staff Member

*Link to Previous Weekly Mystery Chart Thread*

Congratulations to this past week's mystery chart winner and 3rd time winner of the Weekly Mystery Chart in 2018! (2nd time winner in Q2!)-

@Three Eyes

[​IMG]

Click the button below to view the 2018 Stockaholics Weekly Mystery Chart Winners List-
    [​IMG]

Congratulations to this week's mystery chart poll winners from this past week!-

@Onepoint272

This week's mystery chart (SNCR) ends the week UP!

START (4/13 CLOSE): 11.62
    FINISH (4/20 CLOSE): 11.72 (+0.86%)

[​IMG]

Here is a look at the mystery chart weekly members leaderboard as of week ending 4.20.18-
    @Three Eyes is still our current leader with 31 points this quarter! :cool:
    [​IMG]

Click the button below to view the 2018 Stockaholics Mystery Chart Challenge members leaderboard-
    [​IMG]

Whelp, that is a wrap from me this week ... and I hope you all have an awesome weekend ahead! Have fun and be safe! Cheers y'alls! :cool:

...and please do not forget to click in your vote on the poll & post your vote before the opening bell on Monday!!!

4. Three Eyes

With no further ado, here is next week's mystery chart:

Mystery Chart 2018-04-20 at 4.27.33 PM.png

I'll get the first clue posted a bit later. (Although I bet a lot of you are familiar with the price pattern above already!)

5. Three Eyes

Okay, Clue One - Just about every business on the planet needs to manage "x" [can't tell ya. It'd spoil the clue]. Many businesses manage it themselves, whereas 700,000 businesses outsource it to this company.

[EDIT: Now that the mystery chart has been solved, "x" was meant to stand in for "payroll."]

#5 Three Eyes, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  6. bigbear0083

Staff Member

heading out for the w/e in a little bit and not too sure if i'll be back in time to cast a direction vote so just going ahead and voting now.

my vote for this week:

[​IMG]

7. Three Eyes

Clue Two - I thought this company was pretty much a USA-only operation. Then I saw this graphic depicting their global operations:

Global Operations 2018-04-17 at 10.07.09 PM.png

8. Three Eyes

Clue Three - This Dividend Aristocrat very recently raised it's quarterly dividend nearly 10%, which is on top of another 10% raise about 6 months ago.

MysChrt Div Percent Change 2018-04-21 at 1.51.28 PM.png

9. Three Eyes

Clue Four - A selection of some of the services they offer:
    • Retirement Plans
    • Insurance Plans
    • Tax & Compliance
    • Talent Management
    • Affordable Care Act
    • Benefits Administration

[EDIT: It wasn't needed, but there was still one more clue remaining:
    Clue Four (version 2) - Additional services for which they are better known:
    • Payroll Services
    • Time & Attendance
    • Payment Solutions
    • Human Capital Management]

#9 Three Eyes, Apr 21, 2018
  10. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 Well-Known Member

That was a tough one. From the first clue I had an idea of what it was but I could not put a name to it, and the Finviz screener wasn't much help. So I searched the dividend aristocrats (clue #3) and then I found it.

Automatic Data Processing, Inc. (ADP).

I'm gonna say down for this coming week. It looks like it should test lower, but has plenty of support.

Daily:
    upload_2018-4-21_22-1-23.png

11. Three Eyes

That's it! Nicely done!

Screenshot 2018-04-21 at 3.57.23 PM.png

12. Three Eyes

I'm voting down as well: I think the sideways, pennant-forming consolidation will continue.

#12 Three Eyes, Apr 21, 2018
  13. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Voting Down. It'll move toward the 50ma below it.

14. bigbear0083

Staff Member

hey all just a quickie heads up in here...

i am thinking of suspending these weekly mystery chart & t/a challenges indefinitely beginning from as soon as next week.

i say "indefinitely" because i am not sure for how long, but would like to run this again at some point in the future when i have more free time.

i'm sure you guys have probably noticed that i'm barely ever around on the weekends and can never get time to guess the mystery charts no less cast direction votes.

that being said, i will still carry on running our weekly stock picking and market direction threads.

but this here will probably be our final weekly mystery chart challenge thread for a little while at the very least.

i want to thank all of you who did participate on these threads for the short few months that we had this running in here!

admittedly i am kind of surprised that this challenge never really took off like our weekly stock picks. participation has been rather subdued.

maybe after the summer i will bring these back up again.

anyway, just wanted to give you all this quick heads up!

Onepoint272 and Three Eyes like this.
  15. Three Eyes

Good call! As one of the 3 or 4 regular participants, I've only got 2 or 3 weeks remaining before I get underway with my summer travels and would be unable to keep up as well.

bigbear0083 likes this.
  16. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Midweek Mystery Chart Update-

START (4/20 CLOSE): 116.84
    CURRENT (4/25 CLOSE): 116.70 (-0.12%)

[​IMG]

17. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Just wanted to get this post up before the close. I'll edit this with the final closing #'s a bit later on.

========================================================================================================

Congratulations to this past week's mystery chart winner and 4th time winner of the Weekly Mystery Chart in 2018! (1st time winner in Q2!)-

@Onepoint272

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Congratulations to this week's mystery chart poll winners from this past week!-

(There were no posted UP voters to congratulate in here for this week.)

This week's mystery chart (ADP) ends the week UP!

START (4/20 CLOSE): 116.84
    FINISH (4/27 CLOSE): 119.88 (+2.60%)

[​IMG]

Here is a look at the final weekly mystery chart members leaderboard for Q2-
    @Three Eyes is our winner for Q2 with a total of 34 points this quarter and first time winner of the weekly members leaderboard in 2018! :cool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whelp, that is a wrap from me this week ... and I hope you all have an awesome weekend ahead! Have fun and be safe! Cheers y'alls! :cool:

Once again for those of you who might've missed my post from earlier this week, please scroll up to post #14 of this thread!

Thanks again to everyone who participated in these weekly mystery chart & t/a challenge threads!

I'll see if I can bring these back again at some point after the summer.

Three Eyes likes this.