Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

Weekly Mystery Chart & Technical Analysis Challenge (4/2-4/6)

Cy's official Stockaholics thread archives group.

?

Will this mystery chart end Higher or Lower for the week?

Poll closed Apr 2, 2018.
  1. Higher.

50.0%
  2. Lower.

50.0%
  1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Content Manager
    Staff Member

Weekly Mystery Chart & Technical Analysis Challenge (4/2-4/6)
    (Read this first post for the new Stockaholics Weekly Mystery Chart Challenge)

[​IMG]

Congrats to @Onepoint272 the Stockaholics Weekly Mystery Chart Winner for the Week of (3/26-3/30)!

*Link to Previous Weekly Mystery Chart Thread*

Weekly Mystery Chart Chart & Technical Analysis Challenge Rules:

1.) I will post a chart stripped of its price and indicators.

2.) Members are encouraged to guess the mystery chart for the week. The first contestant to correctly identify the mystery chart will receive 10 points in the members leaderboard. You cannot duplicate someone's mystery chart guess. Only the first person to correctly identify the mystery chart wins the 10 points. The mystery chart ticker and winner of the 10 points will be revealed sometime on Monday after the market opens.

3.) Members will also need to vote on the direction of the mystery chart for the week (meaning Friday's close), you will have up until the 9:30am eastern market open on the first trading day of the week. There will be a new poll up for each new week. Members who correctly predict the direction of the mystery stock (Up or Down) will receive 5 points in the members leaderboard for the week.

4.) Members who also provide some rationale for their direction vote (this can be brief) will be awarded another 2 points in the members leaderboard.

5.) All members who "participate" will receive 1 point for the week.

6.) The member who correctly guesses the mystery chart for the week will also get exclusive rights to pick out the next mystery chart for following week's challenge as well as a couple of hints of your choice (you would need to PM me your ticker so that I can have it posted for next week's pick! You would have until Friday of that week to send it in).

7.) We will only be using 1-year daily charts for all mystery charts, unless otherwise stated.

8.) Stocks that have earnings or ex-div dates in the coming week are not permitted as mystery charts for the competitions.

9.) In the case of a no-winners week where not one member was able to correctly identify the mystery chart for the week, the previous week's winner (chart picker) will once again have the rights to pick out the mystery chart for the following week.

10.) These are just some rules to get us started for now. If you guys see anything that we need to add or tweak here please do let us know!

Remember...the direction poll closes at the opening bell on Monday, April 2nd! So try to get those votes in ASAP!

So, w/o getting into further ado here is your mystery chart for this week!

(Chart to be posted here after market close on Thursday.)

Click the button below to view the 2018 Stockaholics Weekly Mystery Chart Winners List-
    [​IMG]

Click the button below to view the 2018 Stockaholics Mystery Chart Challenge members leaderboard-
    [​IMG]

2. bigbear0083

Staff Member

*Link to Previous Weekly Mystery Chart Thread*

Congratulations to this past week's mystery chart winner and 3rd time winner of the Weekly Mystery Chart in 2018! (3rd time winner in Q1!)-

@Onepoint272

[​IMG]

Click the button below to view the 2018 Stockaholics Weekly Mystery Chart Winners List-
    [​IMG]

Congratulations to this week's mystery chart poll winners from this past week!-

@bigbear0083
    @Three Eyes

This week's mystery chart (HMC) ends the week UP!

START (3/23 CLOSE): 32.91
    FINISH (3/29 CLOSE): 34.73 (+5.53%)

[​IMG]

Here is a look at the mystery chart weekly members leaderboard as of week ending 3.29.18-
    Congratulations to our quarterly winner for Q1 -- @Onepoint272 with a total of 73 points this quarter! :cool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Click the button below to view the 2018 Stockaholics Mystery Chart Challenge members leaderboard-
    [​IMG]

Whelp, that is a wrap from me this week ... and I hope you all have an awesome weekend ahead! Have fun and be safe! Cheers y'alls! :cool:

...and please do not forget to click in your vote on the poll & post your vote before the opening bell on Monday!!!

3. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Just a quick heads up in here! I was not able to put up next week's mystery chart on the first post here because I never received @Onepoint272's mystery ticker.

@Onepoint272 if you'd like please feel free to post your mystery chart in here as well as your chart clues.

I may not be around to do it as I will be away for this extended weekend.

If no chart this weekend then we'll just skip this week's thread.

4. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 Well-Known Member

Here ya go. @bigbear0083, since you don't know what it is, you can guess too!

About 8 months of data:
    upload_2018-3-29_15-56-23.png

#4 Onepoint272, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Three Eyes likes this.
  5. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Say, that's a really great idea. The winner can post next weeks chart so Bigbear can get in on the action! I'll try to do that if I ever guess a chart again!

6. Onepoint272

Were going to start right off with a hint on this one.

Hint #1: If one were inclined to take the advice of Peter Lynch most folks here would have this stock in their portfolio.

7. Onepoint272

Lynch speech in 1994...at about 9 minutes.

8. Onepoint272

Hint #2: This is a Large Cap: market capitalization is greater than 10B.

9. bigbear0083

Staff Member

don't know the chart but heading out for the extended weekend and likely won't be back until monday so just casting my vote now while i have this opportunity.

i'll go with an up for the mystery chart this week.

10. Onepoint272

Hint #3: Pay attention to what Peter says is "the most important thing" starting at about 11 minutes into the video, listen for a couple minutes, and then re-read hint #1.

11. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about this. It's not MSFT. I wanted to say TECH but the recent action doesn't match up.

The closest I can find right now is MA but the volume doesn't seem right. My guess will be MA.

12. Onepoint272

Nope. Similar looking chart and MA is a company that most people here know (hint #1), but then most people in the US, perhaps the world, know MA, so no, it is not Master Card (MA).

Hint #4: MA is listed as an internut service industry (by tradingview) and you would think the mystery chart would be but its not listed in that industry; it is not even in the Technology Sector. Finviz lists MA in the Financial Sector and the Credit Services industry...that is closer to the mystery chart because it is definitely in the Financial Sector.

#12 Onepoint272, Mar 31, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  13. Three Eyes

Holy cow, I get the clues now!

AMTD - TD Ameritrade Holding Corp!

Onepoint272 likes this.
  14. Onepoint272

Bingo! Bango! Bongo! We have a Winner!

Clues you did not even need:

Hint# 5: Warren Buffet may not own this but he could walk from his home to their home.

Hint #6: This company has grown to the top of its consolidating industry by making 5 or 6 significant acquisitions.

Hint#6: Let's light this candle.
    <iframe width="854" height="480" src="" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#14 Onepoint272, Mar 31, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Three Eyes likes this.
  15. Three Eyes

Awesome chart and wonderful clues. Nicely played @Onepoint272 !

I'm voting UP on basis of Alexander Elder's Impulse System...the stock is in a protracted uptrend, it's maintained itself above the 65 dma, it is above (and pulling away) from O (zero) on the MACD, and it just signaled green.

AMTD Elder Impulse System 2018-03-31 at 5.19.21 PM.png

Onepoint272 likes this.
  16. Onepoint272

I wonder if anyone was using their TD Ameritrade (Think or Swim) tools to try and find it out. :D

Three Eyes likes this.
  17. Onepoint272

Awesome, I did not know stockcharts offered Elder's Impulse. It's elegant.

I'm goin with UP also. I think it wants to take another stab at that 1999 high again.

Daily:
    upload_2018-3-31_23-41-14.png

18. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

I'll vote down, just because I think the market will fall this week. I think AMTD will use this time to backtest somewhere...I think I'll be referencing that low of 2/6, maybe it will be a pivot.

On one hand it looks like Thursday tried to backtest support ~56.35, and Friday came back with above average volume. But on the weekly chart the big volume has been red and/or topping tails.

#18 anotherdevilsadvocate, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    bigbear0083 likes this.
  19. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Midweek Mystery Chart Update-

START (3/29 CLOSE): 59.23
    CURRENT (4/4 CLOSE): 58.12 (-1.87%)