Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

Weekly Mystery Chart & Technical Analysis Challenge (3/5-3/9)

Cy's official Stockaholics thread archives group.

?

Will this mystery chart end Higher or Lower for the week?

Poll closed Mar 5, 2018.
  1. Higher.

33.3%
  2. Lower.

66.7%
  1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Content Manager
    Staff Member

Weekly Mystery Chart & Technical Analysis Challenge (3/5-3/9)
    (Read this first post for the new Stockaholics Weekly Mystery Chart Challenge)

[​IMG]

Congrats to @Steven_Burt the Stockaholics Weekly Mystery Chart Winner for the Week of (2/26-3/2)!

*Link to Previous Weekly Mystery Chart Thread*

Weekly Mystery Chart Chart & Technical Analysis Challenge Rules:

1.) I will post a chart stripped of its price and indicators.

2.) Members are encouraged to guess the mystery chart for the week. The first contestant to correctly identify the mystery chart will receive 10 points in the members leaderboard. You cannot duplicate someone's mystery chart guess. Only the first person to correctly identify the mystery chart wins the 10 points. The mystery chart ticker and winner of the 10 points will be revealed sometime on Monday after the market opens.

3.) Members will also need to vote on the direction of the mystery chart for the week (meaning Friday's close), you will have up until the 9:30am eastern market open on the first trading day of the week. There will be a new poll up for each new week. Members who correctly predict the direction of the mystery stock (Up or Down) will receive 5 points in the members leaderboard for the week.

4.) Members who also provide some rationale for their direction vote (this can be brief) will be awarded another 2 points in the members leaderboard.

5.) All members who "participate" will receive 1 point for the week.

6.) The member who correctly guesses the mystery chart for the week will also get exclusive rights to pick out the next mystery chart for following week's challenge as well as a couple of hints of your choice (you would need to PM me your ticker so that I can have it posted for next week's pick! You would have until Friday of that week to send it in).

7.) We will only be using 1-year daily charts for all mystery charts, unless otherwise stated.

8.) Stocks that have earnings or ex-div dates in the coming week are not permitted as mystery charts for the competitions.

9.) In the case of a no-winners week where not one member was able to correctly identify the mystery chart for the week, the previous week's winner (chart picker) will once again have the rights to pick out the mystery chart for the following week.

10.) These are just some rules to get us started for now. If you guys see anything that we need to add or tweak here please do let us know!

Remember...the direction poll closes at the opening bell on Monday, March 5th! So try to get those votes in ASAP!

So, w/o getting into further ado here is your mystery chart for this week!

[​IMG]

Click the button below to view the 2018 Stockaholics Weekly Mystery Chart Winners List-
    [​IMG]

Click the button below to view the 2018 Stockaholics Mystery Chart Challenge members leaderboard-
    [​IMG]

#1 bigbear0083, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  2. bigbear0083

Staff Member

*Link to Previous Weekly Mystery Chart Thread*

Congratulations to this past week's mystery chart winner and 2nd time winner of the Weekly Mystery Chart in 2018! (2nd time winner in Q1!)-

@Steven_Burt

[​IMG]

Click the button below to view the 2018 Stockaholics Weekly Mystery Chart Winners List-
    [​IMG]

Congratulations to this week's mystery chart poll winners from this past week!-

@Steven_Burt
    @Onepoint272
    @anotherdevilsadvocate

This week's mystery chart (ETSY) ends the week UP!

START (2/23 CLOSE): 21.07
    FINISH (3/2 CLOSE): 25.71 (+22.02%)

[​IMG]

Here is a look at the mystery chart weekly members leaderboard as of week ending 3.2.18-
    @Onepoint272 is still our current leader with 44 points this quarter! :cool:
    [​IMG]

Click the button below to view the 2018 Stockaholics Mystery Chart Challenge members leaderboard-
    [​IMG]

Whelp, that is a wrap from me this week ... and I hope you all have an awesome weekend ahead! Have fun and be safe! Cheers y'alls! :cool:

...and please do not forget to click in your vote on the poll & post your vote before the opening bell on Monday!!!

3. internationalstocks

internationalstocks Active Member

March should finish down. May zig zag it’s way down as it has been to take out all stop losses as usual. On its way up it just climbs but on its way down it has to go two hundred points in the opposite direction before actually headed down and then on its way down it has to do another 100 point reversal to take out more stop losses for those that jumped on the short train.

Onepoint272 likes this.
  4. bigbear0083

Staff Member

i'm not going to be around this weekend so just getting my vote in here a little earlier than usual (@Steven_Burt if you're around this weekend and someone calls out your mystery chart ticker correctly you can go ahead and do the whole congrats post. thx!)

anyway, as for this week's mystery chart i'll go with a down.

looks like it's caught up in those ma's ... my guess is it gets rejected there this week and test the recent lows.

5. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 Well-Known Member

Somebody scribbled all over the mystery chart. Sheeezch. Please invoke Rule #1.

#5 Onepoint272, Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  6. Onepoint272

Here's a classic while y'all are thinkin on that mystery chart.

Tip: Expand to near-full-screen and theatre mode and tuck the good part into the corner.

#6 Onepoint272, Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  7. bigbear0083

Staff Member

^^ da fuq you ranting about?

you raggin' on my charts again? :confused:

fwiw, when i said i wouldn't be around much this weekend it's not because i'm out having a grand time or anything...

no. in fact, i'll have you know that my old man was admitted to the hospital again late friday, so i'm sorry i couldn't clean up the chart to your liking.

i really did not have much time to take out those lower studies on the mystery chart. but if it makes you feel any better i just went ahead and removed them now.

i don't really don't have to run these threads in here. but, even despite the heartaches that i'm currently going through i still take the time out of my day to run this little challenge. as well as the other one's as well..

i really put in so much of my time and effort into this place. but, perhaps what i need is another hiatus around here... :confused:

ya'know i'll admit that i don't actively trade much nowadays as i used back in the early 2010s... mostly have longer term plays going, because i have so much going on in my life right now such as helping my family out, helping my nephew & niece to grow up as my sister had a divorce a few years back so that has really put on quite a bit of workload on me of its own.

but yet, i still try to find time to help with the growth of this amazing community in which i have been apart of since dating back to the middle 2000s (2006 to be exact).

i don't want to make this seem like i'm going off on a tangent here, but i kinda feel like i have to because when i see posts like these it really does upset me sometimes.

it almost feels as if all the work that i put into this community (and have been for 12 years now) is all for naught.

also, and i feel the need to make this point in here as well -- i may not have the most conventional way of looking at charts or going about doing t/a like most of you guys do. truth be it told here, i do have a rather unorthodox way of carrying out analysis. does not mean that i am wrong. i have been doing this for years now and i do rather okay. there is no need to get overly critical on someone else's charts because you believe it is wrong or looks too simple, or whatever the hell the reason may be, etc. sure, everyone is free to their own opinion. but, sometimes it's best to jut keep it to yourself.

anyway, i just reallly felt like i needed to quickly login in here to make some of those points.

truthfully, i do sometimes feel like i do all of this work around here, and some of you (not all of course!) just don't have much in the way of appreciation...i mean for pete's sake cut me some slack here, jeebus.. :rolleyes:

i'm very sorry to the rest of you who contribute to this forum and for having to read my little rant/tangent here. =/

i have a lot going on in my life right now, with my old man not feeling very well, family kind of in disarray at the moment, it's a bit of a hot mess.

but, even despite all of this i still try to come around and make time to help this community out all that i possibly can because i truly love this community dearly.

i hope you guys are all having an awesome weekend! i wish i were too.. :(

catch you guys later.

8. Steven_Burt

Steven_Burt Well-Known Member

How bout some hints?

#1) Don't Panic
    #2) Founder began a PHD at Stanford but dropped out after two days.

9. twerpner

twerpner Active Member

10. Steven_Burt

Yes Sir! excellent job @twerpner

11. Steven_Burt

hint #3 was:
    #3) Founder wants to reduce the risk of human extinction by developing a colony on Mars.

Onepoint272 likes this.
  12. Steven_Burt

I vote down on TSLA

bigbear0083 likes this.
  13. twerpner

twerpner Active Member

Thanks @Steven_Burt I only got in because of the hints. I actually went back and looked at the chart and was surprised to see how volatile its been over the last year or so. I'm going to vote down for this one moving forward as well. Don't think many stocks will escape the inflation fears that have been dragged up front now by the president.

Also thanks to @bigbear0083 for putting these on. One of my favorite parts of the board here. Just wish I could play the competitions more.

bigbear0083 likes this.
  14. Onepoint272

Sorry Bear, I wasn't serious; just makin' some fun of your charts, trying to help out by bumping and keeping the thread alive. Sorry and so sorry to hear about your dad. Please don't forget to take care of yourself also. Let this chit go, you can always pick it up later if you want.

15. Onepoint272

TSLA is in phase B of a trading range and phase B typically exhibits erratic behavior. However, I'm wondering now if Feb 9th was a terminal shakeout and we've already seen Phase C.. This Fryday it could not get down into the low-bar of Feb 9th. Couldn't even tag the high of that bar at 320.98. Buyers anxiously stepped in and bought it on a LOD-print of 322.97. They stepped in $2 higher than the expected test and closed Fryday with a long lower tail.

I'll say UP this coming week.

upload_2018-3-4_13-15-2.png

Steven_Burt likes this.
  16. Steven_Burt

This just cracks me up:

dont panic.png

Onepoint272 likes this.
  17. Steven_Burt

@Onepoint272 I really like your charts, good stuff man!

18. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

This is a tough one, but I'm gonna say DOWN, too. But barely. I think it will bounce on the purple!

TSLA 2018-03-04 at 8.17.46 PM.png

@bigbear0083 huge respect and appreciation for this community and your efforts to make it so awesome. My best for a clear uptrend for your dad and healthy days ahead!

bigbear0083 likes this.
  19. bigbear0083

Staff Member

well thank you for that @Onepoint272.

i just want to quickly apologize to you for my little tirade early this morning ... i did not realize how harsh my post came off until i logged in tonight to re-read it just now. just so you know it's nothing personally against you.

i suppose i took your snarky comment about my charting the wrong way at the worst possible time as i've been pretty stressed out as of late. thus, i had a fight or flight response back to you early this morning. my bad.

truth be told, i put in far too much time and effort into this place daily, so it just kind of seemed like a bit of a slap in my face at the time. no worries though.

anyway, i greatly value your participation on these things and wanting to help keep these threads alive. i always try to hit you up with a "like" to let you know how much i appreciate your help and support with these things.

i want to repeat something that @Steven_Burt posted above here.

i also love your charts, and i'm pretty sure i share this same sentiment for the rest of the members on this forum. personally i think you're about our most skilled chartist we have on Stockaholics. and no, i'm not kidding.

many of us (myself included as well) aim to get to your level of charting skills, and we all get a lot out of your chart analysis, whether it's on these challenge threads, or on the individual company specific threads. although i'll have to be completely honest with you, some of the stuff that you post is sometimes waaaaaay over my head. i'm kind of in the simplistic camp if you will. but that is just me. to each his own i guess. we all have our own methods that gives us our edge. whatever works for each individual, right? not every 2 traders are the same. that is the beauty in trading imo.

but, i love how you really up the level of knowledge on this forum, and you always strive to have all of us upping our games as well when you post. keep it up. we appreciate it.

thanks to you as well @twerpner ... i hope to see your participation in here regularly too.

i'm not sure how many people realize this, but running these threads, and also the other threads each week, not to mention helping with running this site as well(!) eats up a lot of my time. it's not easy and it's a helluva lot of work. but, i still try to come around and make time for this place the best that i can because i really love this community in a huge way. been here for 12 years (truth be told -- i'm one of the longest active standing members left around here). i just want to continue to see the growth of this community.

these challenge threads are just the few things that i suppose keeps members engaged into the community and coming back. so, i'm at least trying to keep this going.

thank you @Three Eyes. admittedly it has been a pretty rough couple of weeks for me here, really ever since my dad caught the flu, it's just been a huge battle.

hoping for all the best at this point, but honestly i don't know. just gotta take it one day at a time i guess.

thanks for your participation in here as well! i just wish you didn't have to go away for 6 months starting in april. going to reeeeeally miss you around here man. :(

Three Eyes likes this.
  20. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Tough one, I'll say higher. All I feel is there's resistance at $360. At least it's part of QQQ which has been leading up, and I think sellers will be letting up coming off those 3 recent red candles where selling increased.