The Hurricane Thread

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Stockaholic, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

I thought we should have a dedicated discussion thread for this storm, especially that it's possible that it may affect yours truly.

Looks like this storm could get pretty serious by the end of this week.

Here is the current forecast track courtesy of ABC News-

[​IMG]

As you can see, the current models have it at a direct aim for the Carolina's.

FWIW, I'm in the Queen City (aka, Charlotte), which is a bit further out from the coast, but could still get some pretty nasty weather headed my way.

Although still too early to call where exactly the actual center (aka, the eye of the storm?) will make landfall, but looks like it will make landfall somewhere along the eastern U.S. coastline.

The thing that has me concerned is that they have it strengthening quite a bit by the time it gets real close to land. About a category 4 (or as @OldFart would put it -- "Hurricane Party" :p), or even potentially a 5.

We'll have to keep a real close eye on this one as it approaches later this week.

Not to take anything away from @stock1234 as I know there is yet another hurricane headed his way (Hawaii).

I guess this is the peak of the hurricane season, so it comes as no surprise that we're seeing such a spike in the number of tropical systems developing right now.

I'll try to keep this thread updated throughout the course of the week.

I'm really hoping that current forecast track changes. Ultimately, I'd love to see this hurricane completely miss the U.S. and head back out to sea. I know....a bit wishful thinking there as none of the major forecast models have that happening right now. :(

2. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Oh this hurricane is strengthening. Hope you got 2 weeks of food @bigbear0083 , just in case.
    Watch out for the rain, that's what really causes the damage in hurricanes, imo. There's nothing we can do to stop a flood on a large scale. Whereas against wind you can reinforce walls (depending how much you want to reinforce).

Stockaholic likes this.
  3. Stockaholic

...and just now upgraded to cat 4 status.

not sure if i could view that as a positive given that it's strengthened this much so soon.

i'm no hurricane/weather expert, but can hurricanes sustain cat 4 strength for a long period of time?

i mean, i guess hurricane irma (or was that maria?) from last year did sustain something like a cat 5 for days i think? can't remember...

either way, it's showtime.

getting pretty serious now.

keepin' my fingers crossed for the best. let's see what the forecast track will look like tomorrow.

4. anotherdevilsadvocate

That picture you posted earlier shows 3 days in cat 4+, and it's getting stronger so there's at least another day (estimating by me) as it weakens from 5 back to 4.

Stockaholic likes this.
  5. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Stay safe Cy and everyone. I am not expert either but I heard that if the temperature of water is warm, then the hurricane could gain strength and the hurricane loses strength if the water is cool.

There is a Category 1 hurricane heading to here in Hawaii also, but it should be a tropical storm when it gets closer to the islands here. Hoping for the best :p

Stockaholic likes this.
  6. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Sweet! Its coming over to visit bigbear and me! :D

stock1234 and Stockaholic like this.
  7. Stockaholic

whelp, here's the latest track as of this morning:
    [​IMG]

looks like this thing is aiming right for you @StockJock-e! :eek:

and here are the rainfall estimates for this storm as of now:
    [​IMG]

looks like we may just dodge a bullet here in the queen city. sure hoping this holds up.

stock1234 likes this.
  8. anotherdevilsadvocate

I thought that picture shows Cat 5 on Friday, but it must be 3 instead (a different color 3 than the one on Tuesday). Since new picture is now showing Cat 1 on Friday. Well that's one bit of good news.

stock1234 and Stockaholic like this.
  9. stock1234

Stay safe @StockJock-e. Good to hear that you guys probably will dodge a bullet in the Queen City Cy :)

Looks like a tropical storm will bring some heavy rain tomorrow here in Hawaii as well :eek: Might get a day off too from work but not sure yet :p

Stockaholic likes this.
  10. Stockaholic

yeah that is definitely some good news!

my real concern (and you touched on this too marcy) is the flooding. i keep hearing this system is going to slow down in a big way once it makes landfall and just kind of hang around over the carolina's...not sure for how long, but that's never a good thing (cue hurricane harvery from last year in texas). then you add some wind gusts and that's a recipe for some down trees.

i'm already anticipating some power outage at some point during this storm. hopefully it isn't too bad though.

hoping for the best.

if there's one bit of good news maybe is that this has been a pretty dry summer here in the queen city. maybe flooding won't be as serious of an issue as they are predicting. maybe wishful thinking of my part. just trying to stay upbeat haha. :p

11. Stockaholic

stay safe @stock1234! geez, round #2 for you guys out there huh? has it even been 2 week since the last storm? amazing.

just when i thought this was going to be a relatively quiet hurricane season, we get this crazy spike in the past 2 weeks!

i believe right around now is the peak of the hurricane season so maybe no real huge surprise there.

stock1234 likes this.
  12. Stockaholic

hmm...unless my eyes are deceiving me, it's kinda starting to look like the storm is taking a slight turn to the north.

that would be really good news for me, not for some others though...

let me see if i can grab the animated pic and post it in here.

13. Stockaholic

here we go...

yes, no, maybe so? :p

[​IMG]

maybe i'm just wanting it to turn a bit more north so that's how i see it...idk.

stock1234 likes this.
  14. Stockaholic

hmm...i can't post the most recent imagery but the more i look at it, the more it looks like it is turning more to the north.

maybe just maybe we will dodge the bullet here in charlotte this time, but man i feel terrible for anyone who is truly in the direct path of this thing. :(

15. stock1234

How strong is the hurricane now? Anyway, hope for the best to those we will be affected.

Stockaholic likes this.
  16. Stockaholic

latest update: well now apparently the latest forecast models has this making landfall somewhere along SC (wtf?), which isn't very promising for us since that could potentially mean that the worst of the storm could be closer to us than originally thought. it's a very fluid situation. this one really could go either way. i guess we'll just have to wait and see where this thing is at by tomorrow this time. we will have a much better idea then. it's still too early to call as of now.

stock1234 likes this.
  17. stock1234

Yeah a lot still could change from here on. Anyway, hopefully this hurricane won’t cause too much damage

Stockaholic likes this.
  18. Stockaholic

latest forecast track:

looks like @StockJock-e may actually get spared from the worst weather...instead it's kinda looking like yours truly will see it. :p

as mentioned before, my main concern here is actually not the "wind" so much as it is the rain. i keep hearing how this system is going to stall out over the carolina's for a few days. somewhat similar to what hurricane harvey did to texas last year. that is going to suck bigly. then of course you add some wind into the mix, and that is a recipe for some down trees and power outages.

[​IMG]

19. OldFart

OldFart Well-Known Member

Stockaholic likes this.
  20. stock1234

Again stay safe Cy. Hopefully just bad weather but not that much damage

OldFart and Stockaholic like this.