Short Squeeze question

Discussion in 'Ask any question!' started by jtush, May 14, 2021.

1. jtush

jtush New Member

I am under the impression that a stock cannot be shorted for a certain amount of time after an IPO, but I see many people posting that Coinbase (COIN) is being heavily shorted and pushing for a short squeeze. I've tried to find the short info on finviz and shortsqueze.com but they are blank. Can an IPO be shorted without the info available or are these people wrong or is there some other information I don't have?

2. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

3. jtush

jtush New Member

Thank you. I have a follow up. If it is shortable why is there no data for Short Float or Short Ratio (second column from right third and fourth row). I see poets on Stocktwits saying it has over 20% short but I can't find this data.

4. Rustic1

Rustic1 Well-Known Member

The second it hits the street it can be shorted, otherwise it would only go up. COIN was the perfect example of a overhyped DPO " direct listing, which is different from a IPO.

Shorting has a limited downside and infinite upside if it goes against you. Options "PUTS" are safer in my opinion.

5. jtush

jtush New Member

I was mistaken I read on Investopedia that "The SEC prohibits IPO underwriters from lending out shares for a short sale for 30 days."which I misunderstood to mean that the stock could not be shorted. I still have a question on how I find the data on short percentages that are not listed on finviz. If anyone can help.

6. anotherdevilsadvocate

I'm looking this up myself. I know there is some bot on stocktwit that would post the daily short % of volume, but I wasn't sure how good that data was.

nasdaq.com is pretty nice for historical short data, looks like they give updates every 15 days so another update should be coming next week.
    https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/stocks/coin/short-interest

jtush likes this.
  7. jtush

jtush New Member

Thank you very much. That was very helpful. I checked Nasdaq a few days prior and it was empty so I was assuming that since finviz and shortsqueeze.com were lacking data everyone was. I suppose it just needed to update. I realize it better data source now. Thanks again.

8. anotherdevilsadvocate

I think I found the "short volume" bot...I didn't keep the link before because I wasn't sure about the data.
    http://shortvolumes.com/?t=coin
    "The short sale volume percent (not short interest) for stock ticker COIN is 39% on May 13, 2021. The short sale volume is 2,224,723. The total volume is 5,755,377. The short sale volume percent is down -2% compare to May 12, 2021."

The thing is, even AAPL had 38% short sale volume (not short interest) yesterday.

jtush likes this.
  9. jtush

jtush New Member

Wow, way to go above and beyond. I was happy with the nasdaq link. This is by far more helpful. Thanks again.