Options Selling

Discussion in 'Ask any question!' started by DrakeCor, Jan 9, 2020.

1. DrakeCor

DrakeCor New Member

If I plan to sell a call before the expiration date does the break even price matter? Or do I just make a profit based on if it went up a little?

2. OldFart

OldFart Well-Known Member

@DrakeCor

Depends....

1) Do you own the stock?
    2) If you sell a call ( short it ), then you want the stock price to go down, not up.

Three Eyes likes this.
  3. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Well, there could be a scenario where a 4- to 6-month Call was sold at (for example) strike 40 for $3, and then as expiration approached the stock price went to 41 and the Call premium dropped to $2, in which case buying back the Call yields $1 profit. But generally speaking, to maximize profit on sold Calls, @OldFart is absolutely correct, you would want the underlying stock to stay below strike.

With options, break even is always relevant as a matter of developing, benchmarking, and *continually* revising your exit strategy.

OldFart likes this.
  4. OldFart

OldFart Well-Known Member

@Three Eyes

I think I miss read his post. I think he's referring to the price of the option:

"Or do I just make a profit based on if it went up a little?"

@DrakeCor

If the price of the option is higher than the price you bought it for, then you should make a profit ( less commissions ).

If the price of the option is higher than the price you shorted it for, then you have a loss.

Three Eyes likes this.
  5. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Ha ha, you're probably right. Just goes to show how important it is to be clear about option prices vs underlying stock prices!

OldFart likes this.