Investing a big lump of cash

Discussion in 'Investing' started by TomB16, Jun 13, 2019.

1. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

There are a lot of grey areas with investing but something I consider fact is that people become the least objective when they have a lot of money laying around.

As we migrate our wealth from real estate to the market, we are going to come into blobs of cash. Investing this cash efficiently is more difficult than investing small sums over a long period of time.

I follow a few dozen companies. They don't all bring a lot of value. I value companies and try to determine which companies have value. Right now, two of my companies are showing good value and are companies for which I'd like to expand my holdings but only to a limit. My reality is that, even with some near term buys, I'm going to end up holding a significant amount of cash for many months.

Patience is difficult when holding cash. It's easy to talk yourself into investments when holding a bunch of money.

I just thought I'd share my perspective. Perhaps a few folks have a different point of view they wish to share?

2. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

I can confirm. Sitting on cash, especially during a bullish market, makes most people impatient, and therefore less objective. Definitely can't argue with you here.