HEALTH CONCERN TOPICS

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Stockaholic, Apr 5, 2016.

1. OldFart

OldFart Well-Known Member

This is what happens when you give the FDA so much power:
    It's okay to kill you with pharmaceutical drug & hospitals , but not okay to have a cigar...

Proposed regulations could mean a host of changes for the industry, including a requirement that the Food and Drug Administration approve new cigar blends and blunt warning labels — “Cigars are not a safe alternative to cigarettes” — plastered across the elegant cigar boxes that some manufacturers liken to works of art.
    https://www.statnews.com/2016/03/23/cigar-fda-proposed-regulations/

Hospital Infections Kill
    More Than Cars,
    AIDS, Breast Cancer

http://www.rense.com/general74/hosp.htm

CDC: Prescription Drugs Kill More Than Illegal Drugs; Teens at High Risk
    http://www.thenewamerican.com/culture/family/item/21784-prescription-drugs-kill-more-than-illegal-drugs-teens-at-high-risk

2. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

I use Vitamin C myself...it's good but maybe not good enough
    [​IMG]

DeCoty and OldFart like this.
  3. Ciao (Sheppy)

Ciao (Sheppy) Well-Known Member

IMO eat healthy but with food you can trust (no ormone injected etc.)
    every morning I press 2/3 fresh oranges (local one) I eat a lot veg & fruit .
    plenty(4days) Mediterranean fresh fish.... only once a week I have a steak (rare) if I find the one that come from a trustworthy farm (many around here) and believe me one feel much better .... now I cut the fat cheeses (I love them tho) fighting my cholesterol
    and above all my own olive oil t very biological without herbicides and insecticides.. I prefer harvesting less olives then poison myself ...;)
    IMO today too many firms do all "bad" things regarding food as long as they make money, last of their problems the ppl health :mad::mad::mad:

OldFart likes this.
  4. Venom08

Venom08 Active Member

How's your weight? When I was 35% bf I had high bp and probably really bad cholesterol levels. I've been weight lifting and dieting for years now and am in perfect health. It's amazing what a low calorie diet does in this day and age of high sugar and overall calorie diets. Plus tack on lack of exercise and movement and no wonder everyone's on medication.

5. DeCoty

DeCoty Member

6' and I bounce between 175/180 pounds. I limit my sugar(no cokes, no sweet drinks of any kind) and I limit my fat intake to a extent, started buying 93% lean ground beef and eating lots of chicken and turkey. I don't stick to the diet every meal but I try to make 2 out of my 3 meals a day healthy. My problem is I don't exercise at all, I can't get motivated to get started in any type of cardio or weight lifting. We will see how its going so far cause next month I'm going back to the Dr. to get checked again.

6. Ciao (Sheppy)

my post above was a general talk but I could go more precise/accurate.... my normal eating could be a diet for many ..
    I agree with Vernon the exercises/walk/sport are another part that keep the medicine away, I didn't mention that because to me
    during my work around the olives I do plenty exercises ... here been hilly (not flat ground) we go up-down all day on terraces grounds... carrying weight believe you me that it is likes many hours gyms :)
    as I don't do that every days (during hard work I hire laborers tho) then I walk/jog a lot (between 5 to 10 km every other day) once again that is done in the woodland , fresh air + away from smog & cars....

on my high consumption of fruits, vegetables, was included breads, cereals (such as pasta, rice, beans, nuts and seeds).
    don't forget I live in the mediterraneo, our normal eating many called it the Mediterranean diet ;):)

edited// forgot to mention red wine but most important plenty of ***** :D you know what I mean

#26 Ciao (Sheppy), May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
  7. Ciao (Sheppy)

IMO eating it is a bit like trading.. eah one need his/her own plan strategy according to their build-body-physicist
    I goodle translated this (but I am sure that any of you can find what suit you best on line)
    http://it.wikihow.com/Mangiare-Sano

I found this interesting as well (to tell the truth years ago I did study nutrition but I am not a Dr)
    http://www.helpguide.org/articles/healthy-eating/healthy-eating.htm
    http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/food/lists/14-keys-to-a-healthy-diet/slideid_190

8. DoveJohns

DoveJohns Active Member

When the market is bad I eat bad for my health (but good for taste buds) as a consolation. There is a reason why fast food is called "confort" food... Considering today is "Friday the 13th", I reckon market will be bad, so I Am fully planning on ordering a large meat lover pizza and eat it for lunch and dinner...

When the market is good and I make some good trades, I eat whatever I want to award myself... So I guess overall I look for an excuse to eat bad...

On the bright side I work out 3-4 times a week which seems to be balancing it well for now. At least that's what my most recent test results say.

OldFart likes this.
  9. Ciao (Sheppy)

for info... specially for sedentary ppl ;):D

DeCoty and OldFart like this.
  10. OldFart

Senate Ag Leaders Lobby Hard to Pass DARK Act Compromise to Preempt Vermont GMO Law
    https://ecowatch.com/2016/06/30/senate-dark-act-gmo-label/

Despite Vermont’s historic GMO labeling bill coming into effect June 1, Senate Agriculture Committee chairman Pat Roberts (R-Kan.) and ranking member Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.) are vigorously lobbying to get their industry-approved GMO labeling deal passed before Congress’s summer break.
    According to POLITICO’s Morning Agriculture blog, the Senate Ag leaders are using “every part of the lobbying playbook,” with “letters being sent, staffs briefed, reports and FDA assessments flaunted, and farmers and consumers are being encouraged to inundate lawmakers with phone calls.”

Roberts has been reportedly distributing a flier touting that the bill will nullify the “dangerous” Vermont law and stop other states from passing similar legislation.
    Even though Vermont’s mandate comes into effect Friday, the Senators’s bill still has a small window of passage as Vermont’s attorney general will not start forcing producers to label their food products containing genetically engineered ingredients until the start of 2017.

A confident Stabenow told POLITICO that enough votes will be secured for the deal to move forward, while Roberts said, “We had 46 [Republicans] last time, and we’re hoping to get a few more.” Last March, the Senate voted down Roberts’s previous bill that would have prohibited states from requiring genetically modified food labels. The bill required 60 votes for passage but failed 48-49.

Roberts said his latest GMO bill will be the first order of business next week and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell will set up a cloture vote, according to this tweet from Agripulse senior editor Philip Brasher.
    While Democrat Senators Claire McCaskill of Missouri and Sherrod Brown of Ohio announced support for the bill, it is not clear if it will gather enough votes to pass. And not to mention, the bill has to pass the House and be signed by President Obama before it becomes law.

Vermont’s own Sen. Bernie Sanders has announced he will try to block Senate consideration of the bill. In a statement on Tuesday, the Democratic presidential candidate said:

I am very proud that Vermont has led the country in GMO labeling. This bill would preempt what Vermont and other states have done. GMO labeling exists in dozens of countries around the world. It is not controversial. Already major food companies in our country have begun labeling their products. People have a right to know what is in the food they eat. I am going to do everything I can to defeat this legislation.

By putting a hold on the bill, Sanders can block it from coming up for debate unless the proponents can muster up 60 votes.
    The Roberts-Stabenow bill has been described by opponents as another version of the Denying Americans the Right to Know (DARK) Act as it includes provisions that would establish a federal program based on QR codes, a symbol, 1-800 numbers or a statement on packages referring people to websites.

While many major food companies have already started labeling their products to comply with Vermont’s labeling mandate, under the new federal scheme proposed by the Senators, food makers can change their labels to a QR code.

In fact, both Campbell’s and General Mills have already said they support the new proposal.

“We need consistency across the country. And without this national solution, we risked having a system of 50 different regulations impacting our packages,” General Mills’ Mike Siemienas told The Olympian.

“We will continue to comply with Vermont’s law until Congress and the president enact legislation that pre-empts and replaces it,” Tom Hushen of Campbell’s said. “With or without new federal legislation, the Vermont label will continue to appear on shelves across most of the country and well into the future.”

11. DeCoty

DeCoty Member

Crap!!!! Got my second round of blood test done and my cholestrol has actually gone up to 240. Dr. put me on some medicatons to lower it, but im just going to have to get off my ass and start exercising and sticking to my diet.

Why can't I eat what I want and by lazy???????? Is that to much to ask?????:mad:

OldFart likes this.
  12. OldFart

Just like my wife says:
    Older you get, the less you can eat, and that sucks!

Tiptopptrader likes this.
  13. Ciao (Sheppy)

DeCoty why not, you can do that .... but I prefer arrive at the death alive;):D:D

agree OF (but don't tell your wife know that .... otherwise she will say (like all other wives) I told you so :eek::D:D:D
    jk apart ... one has to look after themselves when young if you want a better health old age life.... JMHO :)

shortly I have to go for my exams (3 months are up) ... I will let you know how it went...
    so far I lost nearly 10 Kg by just eat the right thing (cut a lot wine(sugar contain) + cheeses (I am-was greedy especially the creamy one (gorgonzola .camembert etc.:p:p.) and jogging/walking a bit more + now more swimming
    so I will see the outcome but they better be good otherwise I give up giving up ;):D:D

OldFart likes this.
  14. Ciao (Sheppy)

(at last I can post ...was without electricity + internet for hours due to an horrible storm)
    yesterday when with all my new analysts-doppler etc... to see the Doctors ... well all wonderfully well :):) without any medicine..
    cholesterol drop to 205 .. liver perfect (no vino improved it ;)) any way I won't bore you with all the result
    just to say that with constancy and goodwill one can achieve many things (and a wife guarding behind like upload_2016-7-27_23-0-52.jpeg )

so DeCoty good luck you can do it as well ... I can always lend you my wife :D:D

OldFart and Tiptopptrader like this.
  15. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

OldFart likes this.
  16. OldFart

The Effects of Medical Marijuana on Alzheimer’s Treatment
    http://www.alzheimers.net/6-15-15-effects-of-medical-marijuana-on-alzheimers/
    Using Medical Marijuana to Treat Dementia
    While researchers have seen some success in using medical marijuana to fight the formation of beta amyloid plaques, studies are showing differing results in using it to treat the disease.

A research team from Radboud University Medical Center in Nijmegen, Netherlands, recently investigated the effects of medical marijuana on symptoms of dementia including aggression, anxiety, depression, insomnia and hallucinations, and did not see a statistically significance difference when using medical marijuana to treat symptoms associated with the disease.

The team divided their 50 participants into two groups with one group receiving 1.5 mg of medical marijuana pills and the other receiving a placebo pill. Participants took the pill three times a day for three weeks. After comparing the behavioral symptoms of both groups, researchers found there was no difference in the two groups.

Contrarily, a recent study published in The Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease has concluded that cannabis extract containing THC can relieve these symptoms of Alzheimer’s.

Researchers from the Abarbanel Mental Health Center and the Sackler Faculty of Medicine at Tel-Aviv University along with the Department of Psychology at Bar-Ilan University conducted the study, which was one of the first clinical studies observing the effects of cannabis on Alzheimer’s.

The study observed the effects of medical marijuana on 11 people living with Alzheimer’s over the course of 4 weeks. 10 participants finished the trial. Despite the small size of the study, researchers concluded that:

“Adding medical cannabis oil to Alzheimer’s patients’ pharmacotherapy is a safe and promising treatment option.”

Ciao (Sheppy) likes this.
  17. Ciao (Sheppy)

upload_2016-8-2_7-18-51.png

SMOKING AND CHOLESTEROL

Cholesterol is a known cardiovascular risk factor 1.2 . On the other hand, even the smoke endangers the health of the heart and arteries, and according to the WHO can be considered the cause of 20-25% of cardiovascular events 3 . The responsibility of the association is at least partly attributable to nicotine and other substances in tobacco smoke can influence the activity of the cardiovascular system and to promote vasoconstriction, spasms of the coronary atherosclerosis and 3.4 . Some studies suggest, however, that the smoke can also affect cholesterol levels in the blood and that this binding is another of the many gears which are part of the complex mechanism underlying the association between the tobacco and cardiovascular disease.

Smoke, the enemy of the good cholesterol
    A number of observational studies and small clinical trials have in fact found an association between smoking and higher levels of both total cholesterol and triglyceride 5 . What's more, smoking appears to reduce blood levels of HDL , the High Density Lipoproteins also known as "good cholesterol" because it promotes the removal of cholesterol from the body carrying it from peripheral tissues to the liver 6 . Conversely, smoking appears to promote the increase of LDL, the Low Density Lipoproteins also called "bad cholesterol" because, oxidized and deposited in artery walls, contributing to formation of atherosclerotic plaques 5.6 .

The role of acrolein
    At the base of the negative effects of smoking on cardiovascular health, there would also be the role played by ' acrolein , one of the molecules produced during combustion of the cigarettes. E 'was shown that this substance is able to modify the HDL and reduce their ability to take cholesterol from the cells and transport it to the liver 7 . Also acrolein it promotes atherosclerosis by binding to LDL and promoting the formation of foam cells, which accumulate in artery walls, contributing to formation of atherosclerotic plaques 8.9 .

A complex link

The relationship between smoking is cholesterol is therefore a complex relationship and mediated by several different mechanisms among them. Only further studies will allow to discover the details, but present knowledge already clearly suggest how quitting smoking can do well both to the health of the heart blood vessels.

upload_2016-8-2_7-20-1.png

I google traslate d the above..... hope it make sense to you

for what is worth ... I only smoked 10 years but my lungs beginning to feel it... BE WISE give up before is too late

OldFart likes this.
  18. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

I am generally healthy, but I have a Meniere's Disease so sometimes I got those pretty bad vertigo :mad::(

OldFart likes this.
  19. OldFart

20. Ciao (Sheppy)

shame... can it be cure?