Earnings trades gone bad.

Discussion in 'Trade Journals' started by Baggi, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Have to add SKWS to this list. Ugh.

2. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Still carrying these three positions.

ANF
    USA
    SKWS

Would be nice to get rid of them.

3. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

UAA (under armor) really hurt me. Now I own 300 shares of stock with my break even point at around $30.00. I'll be selling some calls and puts against this over the next few months to try and bring down my cost basis.

4. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

I finally got out of my swks position at a large loss. I just couldn't take the pain anymore.

5. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

No more ANF. Got out with a small gain, maybe after the costs, flat.

Only Under Armor left.

6. Ronzoil

Ronzoil Member

I like you trade around earnings. When It turns out to be a looser I will roll if I can see a good shot of breaking even or turning a profit in 30 days.
    If if is a large loss like SNAP last week I will take the stock and sell calls against it with only 7 days left in the contract. That way you can reduce your cost at a much quicker pace than just rolling when your far away from the current price. Also with a 7 day contract if the stock recovers quick you can roll up in price and out in time.

Another thing I like to do on any loosing trade is sell spreads Calls above if the price is going down or puts above if the price is going up. I have even done both to defend against getting whip sawed.

A little while back I entered an iron condor in DAL as soon as I entered the trade the price started moving against me, I started selling put spread and it one time what started out as a simple 4 option condor had grown into a 19 option monster. When the smoke cleared and all position were close I made a small profit.

Baggi likes this.
  7. kirtimeliwal

kirtimeliwal New Member

When high performing stocks are going bad, then this is the time to make a right decision regarding your stock. Keep calm and have a patience when market situations goes wrong. In this case you can take help of market experinced who provide give right guidance to you.

8. B Russ

B Russ Well-Known Member

AAPL - nough said. If you ever see me on an AAPL earnings play, take the opposite position. :confused: