Defense Contractors Are Tightening Their Grip On Our Government

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Bodacious, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Bodacious

Bodacious Active Member

Raytheon, already one of the top five US defense contractors, is planning to merge with United Technologies. That company is a major contractor in its own right, producing, among other things, the engine for the F-35 combat aircraft, the most expensive Pentagon weapons program ever. The new firm will be second only to Lockheed Martin when it comes to consuming your tax dollars—and it may end up even more powerful politically, thanks to President Trump’s fondness for hiring arms industry executives to run the national security state.

Just as Boeing benefited from its former Senior Vice President Patrick Shanahan’s stint as acting secretary of defense, so Raytheon is likely to cash in on the nomination of its former top lobbyist, Mike Esper, as his successor.

A very interesting article, please read it in its entirety at:
    https://www.blacklistednews.com/art...ractors-are-tightening-their-grip-on-our.html

Onepoint272 likes this.
  2. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

For a democracy, we have a lot of people running things who were simply appointed by someone.

OldFart likes this.
  3. Bodacious

Bodacious Active Member

I agree, the most powerful decision makers in the American government are appointed, the supreme court.

I have long been an advocate for public referendums with regards towards the appointment of high ranking officials.

OldFart likes this.
  4. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

If I wasn't morally against it, I'd be invested in some of the big contractors with the Iran situation going on. I can't bring myself to pulling the trigger on making money because of "war" situations. If there was a world war that was sanctioned by all world leaders, or if we were invaded or something of that nature, that would be one thing. Most of our wars are unethical and against international law, so I'm not cool making money off murder. That's just me though. Like I said, I'd be in it in a heartbeat if I could bring myself to pull the trigger (no pun intended).

Onepoint272 likes this.
  5. OldFart

OldFart Well-Known Member

Old news....been this way for a LONG time

T0rm3nted, Onepoint272 and Bodacious like this.
  6. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Absolutely. Always good to see the reminders though. That's why I can't bring myself to invest in defense contractors, but to each their own. It's just not right FOR ME. If others want to, I don't blame them at all and have no problem with it. Like I said, I'd be in them right now.

OldFart likes this.