Daily Discussion - Main Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by T0rm3nted, Feb 8, 2021.

1. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Tech stocks probably are overbought but if the FED pauses hiking rates on Wednesday to push bonds yields lower then maybe they can rally further :eek:

2. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Cathie Wood stocks killing it today, TARK +11.5%

Cybersecurity stocks starting to heat up, PANW near ATH.

3. emmett kelly

emmett kelly Well-Known Member

4. removedatuserrequest

removedatuserrequest Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

emmett kelly likes this.
  5. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

6. removedatuserrequest

Sorry I couldn't resist lmao

[​IMG]

emmett kelly likes this.
  7. Crabby

Crabby New Member

I think it is time for a 30-day rate pause, but Jerome never listens to me when I yell at him through my computer screen.

8. anotherdevilsadvocate

Markets chopping around, but gold/silver moving up strongly.

9. stock1234

Yeah looks like the dollar is falling and it is helping gold :eek:

10. removedatuserrequest

stock1234 likes this.
  11. anotherdevilsadvocate

stock1234 likes this.
  12. stock1234

removedatuserrequest likes this.
  13. stock1234

Well looks like the market continues to bet on a pause from the FED and maybe even some rate cuts next year, we will see if inflation really will come down in the coming months :eek:

The jobs market remains pretty tight despite many corporate layoffs have been announced, I guess those people were able to find another job quickly

14. Rayak

Rayak Active Member

I don't even know how much confidence to have in the numbers. Prices seem to have gone up a lot more than 6-10% a year, when I am at the grocery store or shopping for anything else. Also the numbers are fudged, because if I'm paying $1.00 for a 7 oz box of cereal, and the manufacturer cuts the size to 5.5 oz and raises the price 5 cents to $1.05, the government counts that as a 5% increase, when in fact my cost has gone up by about 25%-30%!?!

The job market is "tight" because people have left the job market, not because the economy is booming. Many are retiring, including early retirement - but many just don't want to work, and for whatever reason, be it family/personal, private or public assistance, they don't have to. The F word is no longer considered profanity - the new profanity consists of the W word, the R word and the A word: Work, Responsibility and Accountability.

stock1234 likes this.
  15. removedatuserrequest

Hope everyone's been doing well! Been a minute since I last checked into the daily thread here :p

Heading off on a bit of an extended sabbatical starting after tomorrow. But before I officially headed off, did just very quickly wanted to give some bigly shout out's and thank you's to those of you who have and continue to keep this thread active everyday. Keep up the great work as always!

Will just leave y'all's with this. Been a long time Discord user since their inception year (2015), and had stumbled across this post yesterday from someone in one of the guilds I'm in (think it was from the r/investing server):

[​IMG]

^ This one sentence I feel resonated with me so much lol. I feel like that almost precisely hit the nail on the head for how I've feeling about the market also. In that, this in between/middle range that the markets have been trading in for quite some time now has made things very, how do I say...mundane(?) IDK, that might not be a good way of describing it exactly. But, definitely a far cry from the kind of market we've seen for years, really if I'm being honest since the GFC which was either a trending up market every year, or the down trending market that we had during COVID and last year.

This year however, up to this point in Q1 (with only 1 day left tomorrow), has been an incredible snore fest. Which admittedly is a large part for me needing to take this nice overdue break from monitoring things on a daily basis for a while lol.

Perhaps if we see something more of a "directional" move, and in "convincing" fashion that might peak my interest again. Still don't feel like we've seen the real "washout" in this market. And we've yet to have a real true test of the pre-COVID peak still. It's possible that is still on the forefront before all is said and done on this bear market we shall see. :p

Until then, I'm not entirely sure what changes the range bound market that we've been in all year...really if I'm being frank, since last year at least.

Of course that isn't to say that $$$ can't be made in range bound markets either...though I personally prefer a more directional tending market myself, to each their own.

We'll see how the rest of this year plays out. And if a black swan does rear its head at any point during this year, you can be sure I'll be back at it again in fairly swift order haha.

Enjoy the Spring season everyone! And here's to a great rest of your year if I didn't check back in again this year.

Gonna be booking a trip to a Alaska soon-ish...soooo looking forward to that hyyyype! :D

#3555 removedatuserrequest, Mar 30, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    stock1234 likes this.
  16. stock1234

Well you are right about the jobs market, I guess that's why the rate hikes weren't able to push the unemployment rate higher.

17. stock1234

MCB crashing today, not a bank stock that many people have paid attention to but an interesting action today :eek:

18. stock1234

FWONK near its ATH, I don't watch racing but I guess Formula One is pretty popular :eek:

19. emmett kelly

emmett kelly Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

filling up. ready to ruuuuun!

20. removedatuserrequest

Just a quick reminder in her that next week we have a 4-day trading week due to the Good Friday holiday at week's end. Happy (early) Easter weekend to all of you next week! Hope y'all's have a great April and Spring season. I'll be largely MIA from here on but will hope all of you an awesome rest of the year. Hopefully there is some nice directional moves in whichever direction. Markets range bound action thus far this year has admittedly got me a bit bored. But, I think a nice trending move could be forthcoming soon-ish. Keep up the good work to y'all's who keep this thread active. Y'all's the real MVPs of Stockaholics! Cheers.

T0rm3nted and stock1234 like this.