Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

Couple of changes going into effect in 2018

Cy's official Stockaholics thread archives group.

?

Are you fine with these changes?

1. Yes.

100.0%
  2. No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Content Manager
    Staff Member

Hi everyone!

OK, so I've been meaning to put out this thread in here as we gear up for the new year.

There will be a couple of changes going into effect in 2018 with the market polls and stock picking competitions that you guys should know about.

In an effort to cut down on the number of threads as well as increasing participation, not to mention making things a bit more easier for everyone, I am planning to consolidate the weekly, monthly and quarter market polls/stock picking competitions into one thread each respectively. If you are unsure what I mean exactly, just take a look at our daily challenge threads as an example.

Basically, there will no longer be two separate threads for the market polls and stock picking competitions in 2018. It will be combined into 1 thread. So, for example on the weekly thread you would be voting on the direction of the S&P and also posting your weekly picks on the same thread. You won't be needing to do this on 2 different threads anymore! Does that make sense?

In addition, I've gone ahead and changed up the FLAT option in the daily poll from +/-0.25% down to +/-0.15% for 2018. Is everyone okay with this change? Or should this be kept at +/-0.25% in 2018? I really want to make the flat vote a bit more challenging as it was far too easy in 2017! :p

I've setup a poll for you guys to vote on in here so I can get a tally of how many of you guys are okay with these changes for 2018.

Your input/feedback on these changes are much appreciated!

My goal here is to cut down on the clutter, and make this process as easy as possible for everyone.

It just seemed to me that having the market polls and stock picking competitions on 2 different threads as I did in 2017 didn't really help much as far as participation went on both threads. The market polls seemed to get a lot less participation.

So, having both threads consolidated into 1 thread should hopefully help members post their market votes as well as stock picks into 1 post.

We'll see how it goes in 2018.

Let me know what you all think about these changes so far.

Thanks! :)

OldFart, BermudianOption and fireopal like this.
  2. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

There is a bigger issue here: "Today at 5:42 AM" .. You woke up at 5am to write this? :D

Yeah, I agree, consolidating is cleaner.

OldFart, fireopal and bigbear0083 like this.
  3. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Haha. It couldn't wait!

It was one of those things that I really felt needed to get posted just as soon as I got up or else I would have forgotten all about it. :p

I think I may even begin to do these new consolidated threads from as soon as next week just to give it a test run so people can kind of get accustomed to the new format, so it won't be entirely new for everyone in the new year.

4. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Yeah consolidating starting from next week sounds good to me, so everyone can get used to the change ASAP :D

bigbear0083 likes this.
  5. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

I'm fine with the changes. Likely they are improvements, e.g. I can never find the weekly stock picking thread in the forum so I got to search, and I'll just do a simple-minded search and the weekly contest for the market direction comes up.

I also believe that I can do a daily market direction thread, more easily than a daily stock pick.

bigbear0083 likes this.
  6. BermudianOption

BermudianOption Active Member

All the changes sound good to me. I really think that the competitions are an interesting way to get eyeballs into the forum. I tried to add a link to the forum in my signature so that wherever I post, people also realize that there is an ongoing competition they can participate in, but I think that the ability to have links in your signatures is probably disabled to prevent bots from spamming.

Has there been any thought to having a widget or something that displays the leaderboards on the front page or prominently on the website? Or even site-wide alerts that notify everyone when someone is crowned as the overall winner at the end of the year? The Group's section of the website is not listed in the Forums tab I noticed, so unless you are looking for it, it is hard to find even though it is probably one of the more compelling reasons for people to regularly check the website...

Additionally, has there been any thought about prizes for overall winners? Stock/money can get expensive so I understand if those are not options, but in terms of forum-related prizes, I have seen the following on other competition-based forums:
    • Custom user flair that highlights achievements. Ie: '2017 Stock picker of the year' instead of 'Well known member'
    • A Stickied Hall of Fame record-keeping thread that is only editable by the mods. Essentially shows the history of the competition
    • Online Interviews with stock pickers at the end of the month/year that are posted for the community to share

#6 BermudianOption, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    OldFart and bigbear0083 like this.
  7. bigbear0083

Staff Member

great stuff @BermudianOption! thank you so much for chiming in here and sharing those awesome ideas. :)

you're absolutely right i agree that these competitions are a good way to bring in fresh eyeballs into the forum and keep people coming back regularly.

yeah what you said about the group section is precisely what a lot of other people have complained about in the past as well. the fact that the group section is kind of concealed from the main forums makes it hard for people to find these threads. i really hate that.

i think if there was a way to link up the groups section on the forums page would help out a lot.

unfortunately, i don't think there is a way to show the members leaderboards on the front page. that would have been a really sweet feature to have here if there was a way to do that.

as for site-wide alerts, at the moment the only way to have forum alerts sent to people is if they have actually "joined" up the group.

i've been trying to send out weekly e-mails to all of our participants of these competitions to remind people to post picks every week. but, that hasn't really worked out too well it seems. :(

i really love your ideas there for prizes for the winners.

i'm not sure if you ever got the chance to read through our daily challenge members scorecard thread-
    https://www.stockaholics.net/threads/final-2017-daily-challenge-members-scorecard.5000/

it was basically a recap of the year for the daily challenge.

i am thinking of doing the same for the weekly and monthly competitions at the end of this year as well. essentially having a dedicated recap thread for each.

i also really like your custom user title idea for the winners as well. very cool.

i'm hopeful that 2018 will bring about increased participation from members. admittedly, it's been kind of discouraging for me personally as of late seeing only a handful of people participate on these things. i would be lying if i didn't say that there have been times when i've almost wanted to quit running these competitions due to lousy participation.

running these competitions are really not a problem for me, i enjoy them as i'm sure anyone who has ever participated on them does as well, but truth be told i would really like to see some better #'s on participation.

we'll see what the new year brings. hopefully we'll see more participants joining us soon.

much appreciate those ideas thx again bermudian! :)

BermudianOption likes this.
  8. bigbear0083

Staff Member

just a quick heads up in here! there will be some slight rule changes that will be put into effect for the stock picking competitions in 2018.

members will no longer be able to pick out leveraged etfs or ipos. these will go for all the formats (daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and the yearly)

here is a sample of the rules that will be posted on the first post of each thread in 2018-

=========================================================================================================
    If you want to be eligible to participate in this week's contest here is what you need to do (REQUIRED!):
    • 1.) Post 2 tickers (ex. AAPL = Apple) but YOU MUST pick 2 not just 1 or else I will not add you to our list of contestants!
    • 2.) Choose either Long or Short for each ticker (Obviously LONG = if you think it will go up ... or SHORT = if you think it will go down this week)
    • 3.) Both of your picks MUST each be at least $2 at the bare minimum! If you pick something that is under $2 then your pick will not count, and you will not be entered into this week's contest!
    Contest Rules (PLEASE READ THESE AND FOLLOW THEM!):
    • 1.) No OTC, ADRs, IPOs, or Foreign companies.
    • 2.) No Options, Futures, Forex, Indexes stuff like that... Equities ONLY that trade on the U.S. Stock Exchange!
    • 3.) If you don't post both the ticker AND the direction (LONG/SHORT) you won't be added to the list of contestants for this week's stock picking contest!
    • 4.) You cannot duplicate someone's exact play! For example- If someone picks AAPL - Long and BAC - Long first then you may only pick AAPL - Short and BAC - Long or AAPL - Long and BAC - Short <-- you may only duplicate 1 pick but not BOTH! This is a first come, first serve basis here!
    • 5.) Picks absolutely MUST be posted in here before the 9:30AM eastern time cash market open on the first trading day of the week!
    • 6.) You are NOT allowed to pick any leveraged ETFs (2x/3x). If you choose one, it will not count. If incorrect picks go un-noticed, you risk your position being forfeited!
    • 7.) RATIONALE - You may post up a rationale (either technical or fundamental) for both of your picks but they are not required. This is optional for everyone.
    • 8.) Please DO NOT EDIT your original post with your picks! If you absolutely must choose another pick, please use a separate post and state that you are changing your original pick to something else!
    • 9.) You may choose to close out one or both of your picks at any time during the trading week. PLEASE POST YOUR OWN CLOSING PRICE(S)! We will be using the intraday 1 minute closing price using the time stamp of your post on Stockaholics for when you closed out your pick. You will need to state which pick(s) you are closing out as well as the price & the time of when you closed out. I will be confirming that your closing price is correct by looking at the 1 min. intraday chart. If it is not correct, I will then post up your correct price and input that into the live spreadsheet. If you choose to close out after the trading day is finished (after the closing bell), you will then get the next day's opening price.
    =========================================================================================================

9. bigbear0083

Staff Member

the daily will still just be 1 ticker

10. bigbear0083

Staff Member

@BermudianOption

so i just wanted to quickly come back to this again after having giving it some more thought over the past few weeks...

in an effort to gain more eyeballs for the competitions here in 2018 and make it easier for people to find the threads, what do you think about the idea of having a dedicated thread created for all of the upcoming challenge threads, and just simply having that thread pinned to the top of the group stock market today section, and maybe even posted onto the front page as a featured thread like the weekly market discussion thread? so, anytime there is a new thread posted for the day/week/month/quarter, a "link" to that thread would also be posted to said thread where people would be able to find all of the upcoming challenge threads? it would be the one-stop shop for finding all of the upcoming competitions in one place if you will. not sure if that would help members with finding the threads instead of sending out PM's or e-mails? what do you think?

additionally, perhaps we can also setup a dedicated thread for the members leaderboards and also have that pinned to the top for easy access?

lastly, i really loved your idea of giving out custom user flairs/titles for prizes for the winners, its a nice idea and is very feasible from our end.

at the end of this week i am also planning to setup a members scorecard (or kind of like a hall-of-fame) thread to recap the year for the weekly, monthly and quarterly competitions. very similarly like i did for the daily here :)

anyway, i am pretty pumped up and ready to get this thing rocking and rolling again for the new year.

if you have any other ideas that could help with participation and such, don't hesitate to post them up in here. much appreciate it!

thx again @BermudianOption and thank you for your continued participation of the competitions bud ;)

#10 bigbear0083, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  11. bigbear0083

Staff Member

whoops! just a small correction there in bold -- i meant to say having the thread pinned to the top of the stock market today section! :p

12. BermudianOption

Those all sounds great! Definitely lock it so that only you can post in it so that users don't have to sift through pages and pages to get the info on the latest/ongoing competitions. I think that one thread with all competition links will streamline the entry process for people.

Looking forward to it. I like throwing my stock picks out there, but what I really like the most is how you have orchestrated the competitive aspect and the data on picks and overall consensus.

I mentioned it before but I really think interviews for End of Year winners would really add to engagement and the sense of community in the group. It is as simple as holding a 15-20 minute convo over text message, WhatsApp or social media. If you are swamped, I can definitely step up and interview winners of the quarterly/yearly contests (even the winners for the end of 2017 contests). In other forums where they interviewed winners, that in-depth attention gets people hooked and turns users from anonymous online strangers to actual human beings and keeps people coming back.

bigbear0083 likes this.
  13. ApexC

ApexC Active Member

14. bigbear0083

Staff Member

how's this lookin'?

new thread can now be found at the top of the stock market today section as seen below-

[​IMG]

i also added the thread as a featured thread on the front page just below the daily trading thread-

[​IMG]

thread is closed off for replies, only admins/mods can post.

15. BermudianOption

Me gusta! A sticky linking to the group section easily directs members to the competitions.

Is it possible to put sticky threads on the Main Stock Board and the Penny Stock board as well or d'ya think it will be too cluttered?

bigbear0083 likes this.
  16. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

As I'm new around here, can you clarify these first two rules? Something like UL or BABA are foreign companies, so they violate rule #1. But they are also traded on the U.S. Stock Exchange, so they adhere to rule #2. Looking over past contests, I've seen predictions for BABA and BIDU and other foreign companies, so I'm thinking they are allowed. But thought I'd find out for sure. Thanks!

bigbear0083 and BermudianOption like this.
  17. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

@Three Eyes Good question, @bigbear0083 will give you the official answer later on but my guess is that UL, BABA, and BIDU probably will be allowed in the contest. Something like Tencent (TCEHY), Nintendo (NTDOY) or Adidas (ADDYY) probably aren't allowed though, just my guess ;)

18. bigbear0083

Staff Member

haha @stock1234 beat me to the punch! :D

yeah stock1234 hit on it precisely. the adrs in question here are those on the otc market.

companies like baba, bidu, etc. aren't included in this restriction so they are allowed in the competition.

perhaps i should add another line of text in the rules to make this more clearer, or maybe just have the words "foreign companies" removed entirely to eliminate this confusion. my bad!

thanks a ton for bringing this to my attention pronto! it's good that we are taking care of this now just days before the new year!

and thank you for being a participant on the competitions! it's really good having you on here. ;)

how's this looking now? if you find anything else that might come across as confusing let me know. thx again i much appreciate it!

If you want to be eligible to participate in this week's contest here is what you need to do (REQUIRED!):
    • 1.) Post 2 tickers (ex. AAPL = Apple) but YOU MUST pick 2 not just 1 or else I will not add you to our list of contestants!
    • 2.) Choose either Long or Short for each ticker (Obviously LONG = if you think it will go up ... or SHORT = if you think it will go down this week)
    • 3.) Both of your picks MUST each be at least $2 at the bare minimum! If you pick something that is under $2 then your pick will not count, and you will not be entered into this week's contest!
    Contest Rules (PLEASE READ THESE AND FOLLOW THEM!):
    • 1.) No OTC or IPOs.
    • 2.) No Futures, Forex, Indexes stuff like that... Equities ONLY that trade on the U.S. Stock Exchange!
    • 3.) If you don't post both the ticker AND the direction (LONG/SHORT) you won't be added to the list of contestants for this week's stock picking contest!
    • 4.) You cannot duplicate someone's exact play! For example- If someone picks AAPL - Long and BAC - Long first then you may only pick AAPL - Short and BAC - Long or AAPL - Long and BAC - Short <-- you may only duplicate 1 pick but not BOTH! This is a first come, first serve basis here!
    • 5.) Picks absolutely MUST be posted in here before the 9:30AM eastern time cash market open on the first trading day of the week!
    • 6.) You are NOT allowed to pick any leveraged ETFs (2x/3x). If you choose one, it will not count. If incorrect picks go un-noticed, you risk your position being forfeited!
    • 7.) RATIONALE - You may post up a rationale (either technical or fundamental) for both of your picks but they are not required. This is optional for everyone.
    • 8.) Please DO NOT EDIT your original post with your picks! If you absolutely must choose another pick, please use a separate post and state that you are changing your original pick to something else!
    • 9.) You may choose to close out one or both of your picks at any time during the trading week. PLEASE POST YOUR OWN CLOSING PRICE(S)! We will be using the intraday 1 minute closing price using the time stamp of your post on Stockaholics for when you closed out your pick. You will need to state which pick(s) you are closing out as well as the price & the time of when you closed out. I will be confirming that your closing price is correct by looking at the 1 min. intraday chart. If it is not correct, I will then post up your correct price and input that into the live spreadsheet. If you choose to close out after the trading day is finished (after the closing bell), you will then get the next day's opening price.

stock1234 likes this.
  19. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Looks great! It was the only thing I was a bit hazy about, and is much clearer now. Thanks!

Thank you! I've enjoyed it, especially seeing the other picks and trying to learn from them. It's a good community you all have going here!

20. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Just a quick heads up in here. I'm going to be using social media sites like Facebook and Twitter a lot more in 2018 to keep everyone up to speed on the latest threads so that we are covered. I usually try to have the winners posted as well as the links to the newest threads. If you guys haven't done so already it might be worth to bookmark these links as well-
    I have access to post on both Stockaholics Facebook and Twitter pages. I didn't really do that great a job at updating them in 2017, but will try to be a bit more consistent in 2018.