CMG - Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by Stockaholic, Mar 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc. (CMG) is a chain of fast food restaurants in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, and France, specializing in Mission burritos and tacos. Its name derives from chipotle, the Nahuatl name for a smoked and dried jalapeño chili pepper.

The company has released a mission statement called Food with Integrity, which highlights its efforts in using naturally-grown ingredients, and serves more naturally raised meat than any other restaurant chain. Chipotle is one of the first chains of fast casual dining establishments.

Founded by Steve Ells in July 1993, Chipotle had 16 restaurants (all in Colorado) when McDonald's Corporation became a major investor in 1998. By the time McDonald's fully divested itself from Chipotle in 2006, the chain had grown to over 500 locations.

With more than 1,900 locations, Chipotle had a net income in 2013 of US$327.4 million and a staff of more than 45,000 employees as reported in a 2015 CNN Money syndicated report via WTVR.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 Stockaholic, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  2. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Chipotle predicted to report shocking sales drop

Chipotle’s (CMG) health issues are taking a toll on the company’s sales, according to data compiled by social network app Foursquare.

The restaurant was already seeing a small seasonal decline in foot traffic in the winter of 2015. But the real trouble began in October 2015, when E. coli was reported at several Northwest locations. Health issues followed at other locations in subsequent months. Chipotle even closed all of its more than 1,900 locations on February 8 for a “food-safety meeting”.

Foursquare predicts Chipotle’s first-quarter same-store sales are going to be terrible when the restaurant chain reports on April 26. Based on its 50 million users’ data, Foursquare expects a 30% decline in Chipotle’s same-store sales in Q1 2016 compared to Q1 2015.

Read full article here: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/chipotle-predicted-to-report-shocking-sales-drop-183918300.html

3. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

May be a wise idea to get out of Chipotle a few days before they report on Tuesday the 26th. A re-entry after that drop will probably be pretty easy and more profitable. The E Coli outbreak was addressed quick and most people seem to be over it already. Still one of the most popular fast food restaurants out there.

4. rolexian

rolexian Member

That stuff is baked in. Unless the sales drop is bigger than the already high expectations.

5. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

6. blypelako

blypelako Active Member

I love me some taco once in a while but I'm definitely not their devoted customer.

StockJock-e likes this.
  7. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

rg7803 likes this.
  8. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

It didn't scare me away. I still eat it weekly and have received two free burrito bowls since.

9. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Death must be knocking at your door!

Nobody has survived weekly meals there!

10. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

11. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Do they sell tacos?

I have never eaten there and keep trying to go there one day!

12. Tiptopptrader

I don't know but after I read how many people got sick eating there, I put them on my "Do not Eat" list

13. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Overreaction. I'm assuming you guys never eat Taco Bell, jack in the box, or any other company that has had a food outbreak in the past?

It was limited to one supplier/region which was dealt with immediately and forced every restaurant to go over new handling and sanitation processes.

I wouldn't worry about it.

14. Tiptopptrader

I didn't mean to step on your burritoes :rolleyes: Sorry Chris I couldn't pass that one up. I am sure Chipotle's is ok or it wouldn't be so popular.

Note, I have been backstage at some popular restaurants and you could not imagine the disgust I have seen in some of them. On the other hand you have restaurants like Craftsteak at the MGM Grand in Vegas and it is so clean you could practically eat off the kitchen floor. Hats off to Chef Tom Colicchio

Sometimes it is buyer beware when you are in the dining area.

blypelako likes this.
  15. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

16. blypelako

blypelako Active Member

That was a decent pun, come on. Media tend to overexaggerate incidents connected with fast food but those restaurants should keep track of what products they use too

Tiptopptrader likes this.
  17. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Nice try Tom Colicchio, trying to pump up your own business on this board!

T0rm3nted likes this.
  18. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Well-Known Member

Past history is not an indication of future I know, but Jack in the Box was mentioned in this thread, Problem with tainted food started in 1993. They had a high of $18 per share in 1992. They lost more then half of their value and dropped down to $5 per share during 1993 and 1994. It took them until 1996 to get back to $10 per share and 1997 to get back to 1992 highs of $18. That brings us to Chipotle. Highs of $750 when problem hits, goes down to lows of $400 (almost 50%) and we are not even past a year of the problem yet. Next earnings report is projecting a loss. Yes sir I want to pay over $400 for a stock that is losing money, where do I sign up :D Not all bleak though. I'm watching this one through the next earnings report next week. Company should provide positive earnings and revenue guidance and if analysts do buy in this one will be a good stock to enter into a long term trend trade with stops set a few percent below recent support on a weekly candle chart.

$JACK

19. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Fair enough. All I have to say is I tried to go to Chipotle today and the line was completely backed up to the entrance door. Probably about 40 people. I went somewhere else.

Gray Wolf likes this.
  20. Tiptopptrader

Not bad considering the markets today

upload_2016-4-15_13-43-19.png