A question about SMA of a company

Discussion in 'Ask any question!' started by Yury Lyubchevskiy, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Yury Lyubchevskiy

Yury Lyubchevskiy New Member

Good morning, I am relatively new to the stock market, and I was using a stock screener at www.tradingview.com just looking at stocks. And I came across a stock with the ticker PACD, and I was looking at it's simple moving average. It's worth about 12 dollars a share and has never been above 20, but somehow when I look at the website's calculated 200 day Simple Moving Average for that stock it's at 570? Is it the website glitching or miss calculating or am I missing something. I checked with my own graph and my SMA is at about 13, how can the website say that the 200 SMA is at 570 how is that possible. Thank you.

2. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

It looks like there was a split in Nov 2018.

upload_2019-6-13_10-49-12.png

upload_2019-6-13_10-49-37.png

3. Yury Lyubchevskiy

Oooh, alright thank you. So they did a reverse stock split right to make the shares more expensive, but the price was only up to 30, then going back down to 15. So why is the average so high? Or does the fact that there are now less shares skew the number?

4. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Nope, the other way around. 1 share became 10000. That's why the average price over 200 days looks so high. Just look at the chart I shared above. Look at the price drop in Nov '18.

5. Yury Lyubchevskiy

Got it, But then why when I look at the companies historical data, it shows the split, but it doesn't show the companies shares valued that high before the split, it shows the opposite that they were less than a dollar. Shouldn't it be showing the price before the split?

6. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

The chart I posted is showing the price before the split. In the 1000's. What chart are you looking at?

7. Yury Lyubchevskiy

Yes the one that you showed me does, but for example if I look at yahoo finance and I put in the company I can't see it there. Why is that?

8. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

I believe some charting software will calculate the chart based on the split price. Because the day of the split, people's share will - in theory - be worth the same amount of money, the chart is calculated based on what the price would have been using that new split value. That's just my guess.

9. Yury Lyubchevskiy

Makes sense thank you!