2022 FIFA World Cup

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by stock1234, Nov 22, 2022.

1. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Not sure if anyone here is watching at all and I doubt there are many soccer fans here but I love the World Cup :D Looks like the Saudi vs Argentina match was one of the biggest upsets ever in the World Cup. France and England looking pretty good so far although both of them haven't played against any decent opponent yet. The US probably should have won yesterday but unfortunately they gave up a penalty with a pretty bad tackle, now the US might need to get at least a point against England on Friday if they want to advance to the next round.

Lori Myers and T0rm3nted like this.
  2. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

I've watched most of the games so far on the side monitor at work. It's a good time. It's too bad the US couldn't hold onto that lead, woulda been huge for getting out of groups.

stock1234 likes this.
  3. hitman

hitman Well-Known Member

Arggie get beat by Saudi is up there with a few others North Korea beating Italy, USA beating England.

stock1234 likes this.
  4. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

South Korea over Germany last cup too

5. hitman

hitman Well-Known Member

Oh yea I forgot about that one

6. hitman

hitman Well-Known Member

looks like Germany going to get beat by Japan

stock1234 and T0rm3nted like this.
  7. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Happened just like last cup too. Germany up 1-0. Late in the 2nd half Japan gets two points and wins. Germany had to be in their own heads.

stock1234 likes this.
  8. hitman

hitman Well-Known Member

Germany and Argentina might bow out early usually if you lose the first game goodbye, thanks for coming out. I hope Canada don't get embarrassed today like Iran and Australia .

9. stock1234

Well it is a World Cup of upsets so far for sure :eek: Germany is in a big time trouble now, they now have to hope for they will get at least a point against Spain and also Japan not getting all 3 points against Costa Rica, a lot of things need to go right for them to qualify for the Round of 16 now.

Argentina is also in a tough spot but at least their next 2 matches will be against Mexico and Poland, these 2 aren't bad teams but getting all 6 points are still pretty doable, I would say Germany is in much bigger trouble than Argentina as of now.

Canada kinda impressed me, they actually outplayed Belgium especially in the first half but too bad they don't seem to have a good striker up front who can put the ball into the net, Belgium has more talent up front and looked like it was the difference. If Canada develops a good striker or two over the next 4 years though, they might become really dangerous in the next World Cup since they will host the World Cup along with the US and Mexico, I might finally be able to attend a World Cup match in person in 2026 :D

England vs US will be fun on Black Friday.

T0rm3nted and TomB16 like this.
  10. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

I am still upset Belgium beat Canada. They served waffles for breakfast at the hotel we are staying at so I busted up the joint like Alex Jones at the DNC caucus.

T0rm3nted and stock1234 like this.
  11. Lori Myers

Lori Myers Member

Loving the World Cup over here in England. I've watched every game so far.

Big game coming up Friday night :p

stock1234 and TomB16 like this.
  12. hitman

hitman Well-Known Member

Mexico will be a tough game for Arggie, if Arggie can get pass them then we might see Arggie start firing on all cylinders. Too much is on Mesi he cannot win games alone the others need to step up, that defence looks questionable maybe they are of the mindset that the front will take them to the promise land but if your back is porous then you in big trouble and the back look weak.

You are right about Germany they are in serious trouble.

I wasn't a believer in this Canadian team but after watching the game I think they need to say hey we can get out of this round and go on to the next Round to show that they belong in the tournament. The front was over anxious and not calm enough to have full control and find the back of the net with ease. The were 2 situations where the ball should have been in the back of the net but went over the top bar so to me those were forced errors and that's were the greats show poise and control to finish.

stock1234 likes this.
  13. stock1234

Anyone still watching here? :D Most teams have finished playing 2 games and so far Brazil, France and Spain impressed me the most although Brazil probably will need Neymar back if they want to win the World Cup eventually. A must win game for the US tomorrow against Iran, I am not that confident to be honest since we seem to struggle to score and Iran pretty much just need a tie to advance. We will see, I will be rooting for the US for sure.

Argentina vs Poland should be an interesting one too, kinda hope Messi will get a World Cup before end of his career so I hope Argentina will get out of the group stage. Group F looking kinda interesting now too after Belgium losing yesterday. Germany also not looking too bad all of the sudden after Japan losing to Costa Rica

Canada is out but really didn't expect much from them in their first ever World Cup, let's see if they will improve further 4 years later when they will be one of the host countries.

#13 stock1234, Nov 28, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    TomB16 and T0rm3nted like this.
  14. IndependentCandy14

IndependentCandy14 Active Member

Iran vs. USA will be an Interesting Match Today.

The French Team looks Strong.
    I can See them Going Far in the Tournament.

-IndependentCandy14

stock1234 likes this.
  15. stock1234

The US is looking good and leading 1-0. Against the Dutch wouldn't be easy in the next round but we will worry about it later on, let's see if team USA will finish the job against Iran :D

16. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Can the US hold on this time!?

stock1234 likes this.
  17. stock1234

Iran is looking rather dangerous in the second half, let's hope the US will hold on this time :popcorn:

T0rm3nted likes this.
  18. stock1234

If the current scores don't change for both games then it would be England vs Senegal and US vs Netherlands in the next round. England and Holland would be the favorites but it wouldn't be easy for both of them. The Dutch was a little lucky to get a win against Senegal and not losing to Ecuador, their performances haven't been impressive, the US might have a chance to get an upset win if they manage to beat Iran today.

T0rm3nted likes this.
  19. stock1234

Pulisic needs to be healthy and play for the US to beat the Dutch though I would think

20. Smokie

Smokie Well-Known Member

USA holds on 1-0. :booyah:

Also, just to add...The total BS that the US team/coach endured from the Iranian press during the press conference pre-match....makes the win even that much sweeter in my opinion.

#20 Smokie, Nov 29, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    TomB16 and stock1234 like this.